US voltages, Japanese FM-Towns CRT, what should I be worried about?

Started by SamBushman, May 04, 2023, 12:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamBushman

I've recently purchased an FM-Towns 20F as "junk" from Yahoo auctions. The purchase includes the tower, a CRT, keyboard, and mouse. While I wait for everything to ship I'm starting to plan for what repairs may need to take place (the unit looks a little rough unfortunately).

I've found the GitHub for an ATX replacement board for the power supply, so I know I can safely power the system. I also have found several threads on this forum describing methods for booting CDs from SCSI, so I have a stop-gap solution should the drive be dead.

One question I don't have an answer to is the CRT. I don't know if the CRT can safely be run on 120v US power or not. If not, IDK if its just a matter of ordering a different transformer and swapping out the one in the power circuitry in the CRT or not.

Has anyone here had experience running these Japanese computer CRTs on the US electrical system? Any advice?

Thanks!

Edit: Searching around online, i found some arcade parts used in monitor power supplies: https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/cabinet-parts/power-supplies/monitor-isolation-transformer-100v-output/

Maybe I could wire an isolation transformer inlinr with the tower's AC passthrough for the monitor?

Cyothevile