Marty - Odd controllers behaviors

Started by kanukanu, June 16, 2023, 04:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kanukanu

Hello world,

I've recently received a (first model) junk Marty and while it boots, the screen remains in black & white and the controllers adaptors I use on my MSX2 or X68000 do not allow to enter the selection menu (and thus launch a game).

I intend to entirely recap the beast to hopefully fix the image issue but the controller behavior puzzles me and I'm not sure recapping will change anything... Any advice is welcome!

Note: I don't possess one of the Marty official pads so I instead use adaptors bought on the (excellent) Spanish website Retrocables. I've read the Marty controllers are compatible with X68 and MSX so I assume it works the other way around.

Behavior 1: NeoGeoCD pad to Marty (X68K/MSX adaptor)

--> The "molecule sphere" from the boot sequence can be moved alright but I cannot make it grow (A button) or explode (B) nor enter the menu (Select)

Behavior 2: NeoGeo stick to Marty (X68K/MSX adaptor)

--> The "molecule sphere" can be moved too and I can make it grow (A button) but not explode (B) nor enter the menu (Select)

Behavior 3: Genesis Pads to Marty (X68K/MSX adaptor)

--> I've tried 3 Megadrive pads to no avail.
--> D-Pad inputs and buttons presses are 100% not recognized.
--> In case the adaptor got damaged in the testing process, I've plugged it to the MSX and it indeed works OK.

Do you have any ideas to solve this?
Many thanks in advance (and apologies for the grammar, English is not my native language).   

Cyothevile

Are you in PAL territory?

I am suspecting the black and white is due to the Marty output NTSC composite.

kanukanu

I'm in old Europe indeed but I'm used to NTSC systems and, in fact, I've got several Japanese consoles hooked on this 60Hz NTSC-compliant TV (including a PC-FX in composite). The problem seems to be elsewhere.

SuperDeadite

Towns controllers use more buttons than MSX/X68K.  You need Run and Select buttons.  Your adapter won't work.

kanukanu

Many thanks for this confirmation.
Too bad adaptors for Marty do not exist, the official pads are so expensive.

EDIT: and as for the black and white signal — in case a user experience the issue — it was due to my multi-scart adaptor. I've hooked the Marty to another setup and the color is back.

MAZter

In my experience bad s-video cable was reason of black & white screen.