News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Slight CD-ROM Woe

Started by FrozenPancake, February 22, 2019, 07:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrozenPancake

Hello folks!

First time on this board, please be gentle.

I've got a X68000 Super (4mb of RAM, running SCSI2HD). I acquired a Panasonic external SCSI drive from Japan a few weeks ago and got the cable hooked up to the external port on the machine. I'm having a few problems. Namely:

1) SUSIE sees the drive, but won't give me a directory structure, or even recognise there's a disk, other than giving me a drive letter.
2) CDDRV.SYS as a device driver gives me DOS access, but as a (largely) flat directory, everything is there at once and floods LHES completely. (EDIT: Seems to be a corrupt listing too, now that I'm browsing through)
3) CDROM.X shows everything properly, but I can't figure out how to copy anything from it to my main hard drive.

Ideally, being able to access everything within LHES would be grand, but I'll take what I can get. I mean, I know that it was never intended to work with a CD-ROM, but if anyone can help me with this I'd be very appreciative! I've been tearing my hair out with many reboots, config.sys and autoexec.bat changes in the last few hours.

I toyed with the idea of LHAing needed files to send them across, but one of them is the great music file collection and, as I write this, LHES is in the background still opening it up so... well... for sanity reasons that's largely out.

Also, I really wish this device read CDRWs because I've burnt through many disks. :D

Oh yes, one more thing. Is there any burner out there that will burn 18.3 filenames that the x68000 apparently supports, because IMGBURN is truncating them at the standard 8.3. Puzzling. Not a deal breaker, but somewhat irritating...

Great to post here after lurking for so long! Hello again!!

Also, I'm very new at the system so if I've got anything obviously wrong I apologise.

--FrozenPancake

kamiboy

Best way to use a CD-ROM drive to transfer files intact is to compress them into one large LHA file inside an X68000 emulator. Burn file on a disc, and then uncompress it all on actual X68000. That way you get the file names intact, and don't hve to mess around with directory structures as the archive will take care of all that.

As for using CD-RW discs, that is not the fault of the X68000, as the CD drive determines than, and most external SCSI drives from that era cannot do CD-RW. If you manage to find a drive that does then you can use that method. Personally I use MO discs, event though they are extremely slow and cumbersome to use. There is a certain exotic Japanese retro charm to them.

hyrulebr

Hi Frozenpancake!

Did you solve this problem?

Well, I have the same issue. Actually is aeguimares that have this issue by I'm the one that sold the panasonic CD-ROM drive só his problem is my problem!

Aeguimares topic (he related the issue in his latest post):
  https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6671.0

But is the same as yours. With cdrom.x he can see all the cr-r directory structure. Susie.x see the drive, mount it but media (burned cd-r) isn't recognable. The funny part is that he have a super like yours and one day before send to him I tested with my XVI with the same panasonic external drive, cable, burned cd-r and boot floppy and for me it worked like a charm. Susie not only mount it but i could access all the directories of burned cd-r.

Ond more thing: the same symptoms as you described happens to me with a og model 600-cz. But I was thinking because the model is Sasi and the panasonic drive is SCSI... super is SCSI like my XVI...

Jehuty

Yes the CZ600 has SASI onboard, i think there you have to use a "real" SCSI Card to use a cd-rom. While mine has a System sacom scsi board and CDrom.x and susie.x works fine.
I also own a XVI and use the same Optical Drive (a Pioneer Slot in DVD) on his internal scsi.

Could you or aeguimares check the Termination ? Eventually that is a Problem.
There is a Fuse on my XVI´s scsi board - as i got the machine this fuse was blown and he didn´t boot right.