PIO-6834-2/4M-1 - Memory expansion board- help!

Started by Max, March 03, 2018, 10:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

I got this 2 mb board and plugged into my sharp pro 2 that has already had 2mb so now I should have 4mb total of ram and so ready to start all games in folder 3 of the image I mounted on my scsi2sd but none of the games listed in the folder 3 seem to start ( except the only Overtake! ) and I noticed that on the board there some switches to be set in order to get it work....Following the instructions here https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:pio-6834-2_4m_-_memory_expansion_board
I set the switch Nr1 onto ON and the others OFF....complying with the rule of continuos ram block as mentioned but even changing mem settings on switch.x to 4096 mb in total The games do not start....Maybe I'm doing something wrong or skippin a passage, could you please help me out and check if the card is well set, still works etc.....I noticed that the first time I turned on my Sharp after installing the exspansion board and leaving all the switches on their original position (OFF) I could not even see anything on the screen as the Sharp did not start properly, then I changed the position of the first switch onto ON and the Computer started correctly.....I have been going blind so hope someone will give me the light and wok it out....
Thanks in advance mates :)

ps: I plugged the 2mb board into slot nr 2 of the 4 available on my Pro 2, the second from the bottom...just in case this needs solving...

vanpeebles

On mine, all switches are off, and set the ram to the total with switch.x. Are you sure it's a 2mb board? :)

Max

ok so I'll set the switches on OFF and try again...sure it is a 2mb ram and the model as described in the subject and my Sharp had already 2mb ram, this is the first expansion I have bought so far and plugged onto slot 2....for whom it may concern the slots are they all good for the board or I need starting from slot 1 ( the closer to the main board)?
....here is the pic....

vanpeebles

I don't think it matters which slot, but I'm not 100% on that. On my Pro II, it's in the very bottom slot :)

Max

so not to make mistakes, I'll try changing positions both the swtiches on the board and set them all to OFF and change position to the first in the bottom, never say never again and the system will recognize it on the spot.......and then in switch x giving the total to 4096mb....another tiny questions as you rea so kind to me, do you think I should update my game image v.4 and add sp1&2 so to make it more performing and stable?...since I'm going to have 4mb I think I'll be bale to get all the games work now... :D...hope so!!! ;D

SuperDeadite

If you have 2mb internal, your ram board's switches should all be set to off.
Doesn't matter which slot you put the board in.
Then you just have to run switch.x, set memory to 4mbs, save and quit, then reset the computer.
If you still get problems, your i/o slots might be dirty causing a poor connection.

Sometimes the riser card that plugs into the motherboard also has a poor connection and needs to be
reseated or cleaned.

Max

ok mate I'll do as you suggested me doing....I'll be back once completed everything! :)

Max

Quote from: SuperDeadite on March 04, 2018, 04:19:47 PM
If you have 2mb internal, your ram board's switches should all be set to off.
Doesn't matter which slot you put the board in.
Then you just have to run switch.x, set memory to 4mbs, save and quit, then reset the computer.
If you still get problems, your i/o slots might be dirty causing a poor connection.

Sometimes the riser card that plugs into the motherboard also has a poor connection and needs to be
reseated or cleaned.

exactly what you have written here and I have done step by step....cleaned the connectors, set the switches to OFF and voilĂ  now I have 4mb total...great!!!
the display on the upper corner of the menu image report Free Memory 3443....
thanks so much for your precious suggestion....!!!!

vanpeebles