News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Xvi ram extension

Started by Goran, October 09, 2015, 06:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goran

Hi guys

I tried 3 different ram extension board on my xvi. I have allways when i boot mahou or ultra street fighter 2 a crc disk error. I thought the the extension slots are broken because i doesnt work properly.

Here is a chart with compatible ram extensions.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:x68000_faq

Is that correct? Thath only internal 2mb ram extension work or xsimm?
Could that be?

I have the follow ram extensions :

SH-6BE-2/4M-1 - Memory expansion board
KGB-PRK II - FPU, Memory board with 2mb

And this unkonwn board i think that it is a 8 or 10 mb extension

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/202132085

Another question 2hd 3.5" floppy disk doesnt work in the xvi compact?

SuperDeadite

Step 1:  Be sure you have the dipswitches on the RAM board setup properly.
Step 2:  You have to run switch.x and tell the computer how much RAM it has.

Goran

I know

Tried that all. In the xvi compact all three ram extensions work :-(

Pinwizkid

Do you have any other expansions cards, such as a MIDI card you can test to see if the I/O slots are at least making contact? My MIDI card actually had a lot of build up on the contacts that needed to be cleaned even though to naked eye they looked very clean.

Also, I am curious as to that RAM cart you posted from YAJ. Haven't ever seen one of those.

BlueBMW

Try reseating the IO riser card.  I have had tons of systems with wierd issues and it ends up being a poor connection with that riser card.

Goran

Quote from: BlueBMW on October 10, 2015, 01:23:37 AM
Try reseating the IO riser card.  I have had tons of systems with wierd issues and it ends up being a poor connection with that riser card.

How can i reaseat io riser card?

I chant the extension slot. Put one from ace in. Cleaned it with alcohol and the put the xvi one again in

Goran

Quote from: BlueBMW on October 10, 2015, 01:23:37 AM

Where is it located?

Goran

Do you mean the expansion slot or a card on the mainboard or somewhere?

BlueBMW

I mean the riser board that has the two IO slots on it.  There's something about it. It must complete a system bus or something and when its not quite right things dont seem to work right.  It plugs into the mainboard, is probably attached to some metal housings and held down to the thing with four screws.  Its the board that cards would plug into when installed from the outside of the system into the two slots on the back.

Goran

My xvi had no sound. Bought on ebay a new board that is on the bottom and changed it. Sound works now. Can it be that it has something to do with that that the ram expansion doesnt work properly?

Goran

With si programm it shows/recognizes 12 mb memory but still doesnt work. When i put in disk 3 of mahou it shows 6mb loads and some times later it showd crc error. No it works. Thanks god

Goran

It worked an now it came the crc error again

BlueBMW

CRC errors can happen from a number of things.  Often times its a read error from the disks.  If you have 12mb ram you should really invest in a CF or SD hard drive adapter like the SCSI2SD and load one of the hard disk images available on here.

As far as the no sound issue.  I've seen that a few times on various x68000s.  Typically its capacitors on that bottom board which contains most of the sound hardware.

Goran

Ok thanks a lot.

Just one more thing 2hd 3.5" floppy disk doesnt work for compact to pu games on it?

BlueBMW

You can use a hard drive with the compact but you'll have to find an external enclosure for it.

papa_november

You have to install 9SCDRV to read 1.4MB floppies.