Sega Nomad AC Adapter. ?SNES?

Started by Kyle, April 24, 2004, 05:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle

I just ordered a nomad on ebay, in unknown condition, and didnt come with an ac adapter, so to save money I'm trying to figure out what would work to test this thing, without buying an ac adapter until i know if it works.  

Is there anyway to just hook batteries up to it even if just for a few seconds?

The snes adapter puts out 10v at .85 amps, which i believe is the same as the nomad.  But i think the polarity is reversed on the snes.  Can anyone verify that?

Any solutions are helpful and appreciated.

Guest_Segasonicfan

Be safe and buy any Sega Genesis (model 2) power supply off ebay.  They're $5 and less :)

-Segasonicfan

kyle

Hey, you wouldnt be the segasonicfan who fixed that nomad a month ago or so?

Im going to take your advice, but i know in the auction the guy said he tried different adapters (not the original) but it didnt work.  So I imagine if nothing else, whatever happened to your nomad will probably be wrong with this one, do you have pictures of your fix?  Or, can you give me detailed instructions on how to do it.

That would be great if you could.  Ive done quite a bit with electronics and soldering although i would not call myself advanced.

benzaldehyde

Careful! Aviso! EEEEK!

Power supplies are not meant to be swappable. Make sure the voltages are the same (not too hard) and that the amperage is at or slightly higher than prescribed. If one were lucky, it'd only blow a fuse. I wonder (as I turn and asketh SSF), does the Nomad have a fuse inside? This might be Kyle's problem.

Guest_Segasonicfan

Yep, Im the same guy that had a broken Nomad and fixed it.  And no, the Nomad does not have any fuses inside.  As for the power supplies, the Model 2 Genesis ones ALL work on a Nomad...and they are swappable.  The Nomad IS a model 2 Genesis.  But if you bought a Nomad with the power problem then I'm pretty sure it's got the same problem mine had.  Email me if you want instructions on how to fix it.  it only takes 3 wires soldered to some places.  The Nomad won't work with an AC adapter but it will still work with all battery packs if you do the mod.  

-Segasonicfan

kyle

Thanks for all the help.  I know just trying different stuff is crazy, but a battery pack costs 20 bones, and I dont want to blow any extra dough until i know it works.  

So Im just wondering, does the AA batery pack have any extra hardware or is it just 6AA's wired in series.  

If it is, then there can't be any danger in using 6AA's on it, as long as i know which pole is positive and negative on the nomad.  Right?

PS.  I would greatly appreciate those instructions emailed to b_ski30@hotmail.com.  

Segasonicfan

Hey,

Yeah, it's just AA's wired in order.  Im 99% sure positive is top and negative is bottom.  I'll be home tomorow to check everything and give you instructions for the mod :)

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

Kyle

Nomad arrived today, gotta go pick it up now!!!  Im gonna test out the 6 AA's.  Have you checked to see that its positve top and negative bottom?  Thanks for all your help.

I'll post the results of my test tommorow afternoon.  If I can verify that tops positve that is.  Im pretty sure I'll need those instructions though.  I guess we'll find out tommorow when i try it.

Kyle

Ok i tried the nomad with batteries.  6 aa's wired in series, connected to top as positve and bottom as negative.  It lit the screen but the game didnt come up or anything.  Any ideas  on that one?

PS Is that a weird nintendow style screw in the middle bottom of the case?  I wonder how I'm gonna get that out?

Segasonicfan

yeah....i know whats wrong.  you gotta do my mod.  email me cause i keep forgetting to check this post i dont have time to write it now, sorry.

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

b_ski30

I emailed you, that'd be great if you could get me those instructions when you get a chance.

Kyle