News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Forum downtime

Started by NFG, September 05, 2007, 06:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

I dunno what happened, but for about 26 hours the entire NFG network was offline.  It seems that a faulty router was to blame.

I'll be taking steps to have a standby server ready from now on, to at least let you guys know.

Sorry.  =(

NFG

Well, I made the switch.  All users, posts, polls, forums and ...  well, everything else, has been brough over to the new system.

Welcome to the new forum, same as the old forum! 

If it doesn't work I'll roll it back in a day or so.  Feedback is encouraged.

evildragon

Quote from: Lawrence on September 18, 2007, 10:59:54 PM
Well, I made the switch.  All users, posts, polls, forums and ...  well, everything else, has been brough over to the new system.

Not working for me, had to post as a guest.  My real account shows only two boards, and that's it, nothing else.

blackevilweredragon

ニユ-マン

Login's form won't accept kana charachters, so I can't login :-\
It's not a big deal, maybe the admin can change my username?

butterpathead

Quote from: evildragon on September 19, 2007, 01:29:31 AM

Not working for me, had to post as a guest.  My real account shows only two boards, and that's it, nothing else.

blackevilweredragon
same here, can't see the GamesX forums when logged in either.

evildragon

Quote from: butterpathead on September 19, 2007, 02:38:54 AM
Quote from: evildragon on September 19, 2007, 01:29:31 AM

Not working for me, had to post as a guest.  My real account shows only two boards, and that's it, nothing else.

blackevilweredragon
same here, can't see the GamesX forums when logged in either.
im familiar with this, it means our accounts are either inactive, or banned...  (obviously not on purpose)

if that's not the issue, then either lawrence forgot something, or the database isn't compatible?

NFG

Ah shit, sorry guys.  Obviously something I missed... 

Fixed!  The import process turned most of the regular users into a permisionless group, so in effect you were punished for being awesome.  My humblest apologies!!  Please let me know if anything continues to go wrong.

ニューマ: Your new name is numa, you can change it yourself after you log in for the first time.  Your mail host refuses email from this server however, so you cannot receive your new password.  Not sure how we're going to solve this one!!  =(

blackevilweredragon

Quote from: Lawrence on September 19, 2007, 07:38:04 AM
ニューマ: Your new name is numa, you can change it yourself after you log in for the first time.  Your mail host refuses email from this server however, so you cannot receive your new password.  Not sure how we're going to solve this one!!  =(

how about this..

you set up his email address to yours, you get the email with password, you personally email him with the password, he signs in..

NFG

My personal mail goes through the same mailserver.  =)

I'll manually choose a PW and email it from a webmail account somewhere... 

blackevilweredragon

um, how do I fix the time?  the post dates are WAY off, and I rely on them.  In "Profile", I hardly have any options.

NFG

Go to your profile, and click on Look and Layout Preferences.  There's an option in there to auto-detect your time difference.

That will sort your time zone out.

blackevilweredragon

Quote from: Lawrence on September 19, 2007, 02:09:14 PM

Go to your profile, and click on Look and Layout Preferences.  There's an option in there to auto-detect your time difference.

That will sort your time zone out.
I'm either blind or I don't see it.

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/notthere.png

NFG

blackevilweredragon

fixed, thanks!

I think -13 is correct for me..  (auto detect made it say NaN)

NeWmAn

Thanks Lawrence!

Btw. is there a way to show all the treads that have new posts as it was possible on the old forum?

ken_cinder

Quote from: ニユ-マン on September 20, 2007, 05:53:14 AM
Thanks Lawrence!

Btw. is there a way to show all the treads that have new posts as it was possible on the old forum?

It does, the categories icon is blue when theres a new post in a forum. As for a new post in a thread, it's not easy to notice but you will see a "New" icon beside a thread.
It would be preferable to have the thread image be a brighter one however instead, if possible.

NeWmAn

I noticed that, but on the old forum there was a way to show all the threads that had new posts regardless of the section.

Other question: are the Smileys currently not-working or do I have to do something to enable them?

ken_cinder

Quote from: ニユ-マン on September 20, 2007, 06:40:38 AM

I noticed that, but on the old forum there was a way to show all the threads that had new posts regardless of the section.

Other question: are the Smileys currently not-working or do I have to do something to enable them?

Ohhh! I know what you mean now, the "View New Posts" link. There's one in the "Stats" section at the bottom of the index page - http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?action=recent

NeWmAn

The old forum was showing only the title of the (updated) threads, the one on this forum shows each and every new message posted :(

NFG

Quotethe one on this forum shows each and every new message posted
Yeah, you're right.  It's kind of annoying, but I also kind of like it.  It's nice to see the contents of the update without having to read the thread itself.  It's faster, and I can tell at a glance if I want to click the actual thread or not.

Quoteare the Smileys currently not-working
When I was waffling about the forum location (forum, forum2, etc) I broke a few links.  They're scattered all through the admin panel so I've gotta try and figure out where I found them last time...

Quoteit's not easy to notice but you will see a "New" icon beside a thread.
I'll try and find something a little more noticable. 

NeWmAn

Quote from: Lawrence on September 20, 2007, 07:54:56 AM
Yeah, you're right.  It's kind of annoying, but I also kind of like it.  It's nice to see the contents of the update without having to read the thread itself.  It's faster, and I can tell at a glance if I want to click the actual thread or not.

Isn't it possible to add a mode like that of the old forum? Or let the user choose if it wants to see topic titles or titles+messages?

Moreover now e-mail addresses show up in thread pages, isn't that a dangerous thing?

QuoteInvision Power Board does not show email addresses in the topic view to prevent email addresses being harvested by 'spam bots'

NFG

Quote from: ニユ-マン on September 20, 2007, 09:49:27 AMIsn't it possible to add a mode like that of the old forum? Or let the user choose if it wants to see topic titles or titles+messages?
Not as far as I know, I'll look into it.

Quote from: ニユ-マン on September 20, 2007, 09:49:27 AMMoreover now e-mail addresses show up in thread pages, isn't that a dangerous thing?
Yeah, um, WTF.  I've gotta get that sorted ASAP.  I installed a module that was supposed to fix that just now, but it DIDN'T!

1. I fixed the smilies.
2. I removed the email link from the thread page, and...
3. When viewing a user's profile you have the ability to send an email, but not see the user's email address

I really like that I can edit posts in the same page.  Now if only I can enable a fast-reply that works similarly...

NFG

It's a good thing I fixed the forum, I'd hate to have missed this flurry of new posts.  ;)

kendrick

Perhaps everyone has been stunned into inaction by your generous and responsible maintenance of the site. :)

ken_cinder

Quote from: Lawrence on September 21, 2007, 10:52:53 PM
It's a good thing I fixed the forum, I'd hate to have missed this flurry of new posts.  ;)

Maybe you should change the links on the site to point to their respective new forums? The link at the top of the old forums could easily be overlooked.
I don't have the forums bookmarked myself, I go to the site and follow the links to the forums from there.

NFG

Hm, yes, this is a good point.  <cough>

Done!

RobIvy64

"Console Mods" lurker

NFG

I really need to do something about the logo header now...

blackevilweredragon

Quote from: Lawrence on September 26, 2007, 09:01:48 AM
I really need to do something about the logo header now...
I'm a photoshop expert.  Here's two of my latest examples:

http://blackevilweredragon.deviantart.com/art/Intel-Pentium-4-HT-Wallpaper-65212746
http://blackevilweredragon.deviantart.com/art/Intel-Pentium-3-M-Wallpaper-65397537

I could do one free if you want.

Just tell me pixel dimensions and preferred format, and I'll get right on it.  (formats I can do are:  JPEG, PNG8, PNG24, and GIF with customized palette)

Here's a quick one I just did up, which you could use if you liked it: