Drawing power from PS2 controller port

Started by Xtra_Zero, June 05, 2006, 11:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xtra_Zero

So I've got this badass arcade stick that is just begging for LEDs under the buttons.  Problem: how do I draw enough power from the controller port without frying the surface mount fuse?  I read the stuff on the original PSX controllers and it talked about a fuse that blows if you pull too much, killing the power to the controllers and memcards, but I haven't noticed this when reading up on the PS2 controllers.  Is this just a PSX issue?

FM-77

I don't think this is a good idea. The V7 fuse (the one that controls the rumble feature and the DVD remote control) can easily burn out. In fact, just using third-party controllers can easily bust that fuse.

Xtra_Zero

Well crap.  No recommended workaround or anything?  The buttons are all clear and colored and shiny and stuff ... ;.(  I don't wanna have to put batteries in my arcade stick to make it look awesome.  That would be LAME.

Edit:  WAIT!!  IDEA.  What if I used the USB ports to power the LEDs instead?  Would that work?  Or would I run into a similar problem?

XianXi

I made these a long time ago and my PS2 is still kicking even when we play 2 players.

Xtra_Zero

How much power did you draw?  I wouldn't be so worried if I wasn't planning on installing so damn many.  That thing's gonna glow like the frickin sun when I'm done, no doubt about it.  8 LEDs min, 32 optimally.

XianXi

QuoteHow much power did you draw?  I wouldn't be so worried if I wasn't planning on installing so damn many.  That thing's gonna glow like the frickin sun when I'm done, no doubt about it.  8 LEDs min, 32 optimally.
I'm not sure exactly how much I drew but 8-32 LEDS sounds a bit much. You might want to create a small PCB that will power the LEDS via the USB maybe.

Xtra_Zero

Any info on how much the USB ports can take?