A few questions regarding the SNES lockout chip

Started by Kohza, January 22, 2006, 08:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kohza

Ok first off I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place of the forum, I didn't really know where else to put it. :(

I have a PAL SNES, I don't know how old it is but I could easily find out by taking the case off right?

If I was to follow this guide here: http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sneslockout.htm

Would I have no problems playing FFIII and CT? If I was to file down the sides so that an NTSC game would fit in, would it totally work?

- Thank you.

Hojo_Norem

That and the 50/60Hz mod should be what you need.  I would suggest adding the switch to enable/disable the lockout should you want to play of those pesky games whick have disabled lockout detection (I haven't a clue how many PAL games do this but one good example of a US game that does is the later versions of Super Mario RPG)  
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

Kohza

The 50/60hz mod?

Edit ----

You do mean this don't you?

http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/snes5060.htm

Vertigo

Errrr are you the same guy who posted the same question at NTSC UK forums?

Super Mario RPG does not work on a PAL SNES, no matter what you do to it.

Kohza

QuoteErrrr are you the same guy who posted the same question at NTSC UK forums?
Haha yep that's me. :)

FM-77

QuoteSuper Mario RPG does not work on a PAL SNES, no matter what you do to it.
Actually, yes -- it's possible. Not with the console only -- but with some converters (not many of them are working).

An easy way to get a 50/60Hz mod is to just solder cables to those two chips mentioned in the guide. Then connect those two wires, and solder one wire to +5V and then just drag those two outside the console (preferrably at the back). Connecting these two means 60Hz, disconnecting them (that you'll never do anyway) means 50Hz.

Some games require your SNES to be set to 50Hz, otherwise it won't boot. Donkey Kong Country 3 is a good example. Just disconnect the two wires when you start the console, and then re-connect them when the game's started. It'll change back to 60Hz.

Vertigo

Actually, yes -- it's possible. Not with the console only -- but with some converters (not many of them are working).
Cartridge convertors don't make your system run at 60Hz. NTSC Super Mario RPG requires a 60Hz console to run properly.

FM-77

Cartridge convertors don't make your system run at 60Hz. NTSC Super Mario RPG requires a 60Hz console to run properly.
Exactly. Modding the system first and then using the converter works just fine.

sdh

Hi, im new to this forum, and totally new to modding/soldering.
I was wondering how to do the lockout mod (http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sneslockout.htm)
but with a switch instead? This is totally my new hobby and I would appriciate the help. Thanks!

or is it as simple as having a switch in between?

NJAY

Hi ! I added the Lockout and 50/60 HZ Mod to one of my PAL SNES some days ago and it works just fine. But I noticed that after modding the PAL version of Super Metroid wont run no matter if the lockout i active or not (made a switch between).
Even back on 50 HZ

Hows that posssible ?

Greetings

NJay

viletim!

NJAY,

Sabotage maybe? Where did you store your Super Metroid cart while you were busy the mod?