PS2 Progressive Scan mode

Started by Darkman, October 14, 2004, 05:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkman

Hello,

I recently acquired a PS2 and one question was bugging me. I will be using an RGB cable, fed into my TV's SCART. Is there a danger of frying my TV if I accidentally selected Progressive Scan mode(at least Soul Calibur II has it, but others might as well)? Because, if I understand correctly, PS2 would send a hi frequency signal(probably VGA), right? Oh, by the way, that�s a PAL PS2.

D.

benzaldehyde

Well Sony, being such heroes to the consumer :rolleyes: , made the progressive scan output tied to either component output or a sync-on-green. It shuts off the CVBS signal, so there's no getting sync through that, which is how (I believe) a SCART television finds sync. Thus, you'd have to do some rewiring, perhaps by extracting the sync from green or connecting green to the CVBS pin (not sure how well that would work).

This is assuming your TV supports progressive scan mode. It does, right? ;)

Darkman

No it doesn't. That what makes me worried. I'm not trying to get VGA or Progressive out of my PS2, I just wanted to make sure my TV is safe. And if the PS2 really doesn't send 31+kHz sync to the Csync pin, then I'm safe :D. Thanks benzaldehyde.

Edit: slightly off-topic, but which pins are used for Component video on the PS2's AV port?

NFG

Typically if you use an out-of-sync mode the display will either show a wobbly picture (dual images usually) or shut the display off.  You'll rarely find a modern display that will break when you feed it VGA instead of RGB, but of course if your TV asplode I'm not the one to blame.  =D