Car GPS Monitor

Started by Yousef, September 21, 2004, 05:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yousef

Hi there,  i have a GPS monitor for a Japanese car (unknown model).  I bought the monitor from a used car parts shop.  I want to connect it to my pc.  But the problem is i don't know the pinouts for the red, green, blue, sync & power.  Anyone have any idea about this kind of monitors.  It is made by Sumitomo Electric Japan on 1996 this info is written on the back.  Please help.

Thank you all.

Yousef

Aidan

This might be difficult, depending on how the manufacturer of said GPS system interfaced to the screen.

First of all, what kinds of connectors does it have on it? Can you identify power at all?
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Yousef

Please have a look at the back of the monitor.

it has 4 connectors.  the one in the middle has 5 wires (pink, white/red, white/black, white/green, red/black)

on the right 6 wires (2 blue, black, black/white, yellow, green)

Yousef

with the back cover

NFG

It's very possible this monitor doesn't support RGB at all, many in-car monitors are composite, or sometimes S-video.  RGB is the hardest one to find.  If the guy who sold it to you said it was RGB compatible, ask him how he knows (then get the pinouts).  Otherwise find the make and model of the car, and look for the wiring guide for that.

Yousef

Thank you Lawrence.   The problem is that i don't know the car and the shop don't know eather.  I guess i'll never be able to use this monitor.  
Anyway guys, thank you very much for your help.

Aidan

The larger white connector looks like it probably provided power. The fuse on the board should allow you to find which wire was used as the main power source.

However, the board you can see looks like it might actually be some form of processing board, but I'm having to guess, as I've no idea what's atually on the board. There's rather too much cabling for just a monitor, so I suspect there is some intelligence on it.

Yousef

Thank you, Aidan.  Pleae have a look it this pictures.

Yousef

another picture about the fuse

Yousef

another picture showing the front

Aidan

Is the fuse only attached to the backlight for the buttons? You might have to do some more tracing to find out if there are any other wires that look like they provide power.

It is possible that the monitor might not be of any use to you, so keep that in mind whilst you work on it!

Do you have access to any test tools such as a multimeter or oscilloscope?

phreak97

h-pos is horizontal position, it just controls the position of the picture on the screen, ignore it till you actually get a picture, if you ever do..