rgb blanking, switch and other ?s

Started by dorrington, September 16, 2004, 07:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorrington

Just got my SCART cables for the playstation and I have a few issues...

1) there is a wire going to pin 18 (blanking signal ground?).  What is the purpose of the blanking signal? What do I do with this lead?

2)  There is also a small lead going from p18 to p17 (composite video ground).  Where should I get the composite video ground from, the wire @ p18?

3) There is a wire at p8 (Audio/RGB switch / 16:9), as well a resistor (2Kohm) going from 8 to 6 (Blanking signal).  Again, what is the purpose of these?

4) There were no grounds at the audio, R, G, or B pins, but there was one lead that was connected to the metal casing.  Is this the ground for all three?

If the information helps, I am trying to install a playstation to my navigation's LCD monitor in my Acura.  Many peolpe have used RGB converters to accept a composite input, but all they connect is the usual R, G, B, and sync sig's.  What are these other leads for?

Heres the pinout to the inputs at the LCD, if it helps:

Term#   Wire   Description      
   Color      
1   WHT/RED   Continuous power source
2   YEL/RED Power source for accessory
3   BLU/RED   Data Bus (+) GA-Net
4   BLK   Shield for audio bus teminal #3,13
5   RED/WHT   Data Bus (+) GA-Net
6   ---   Not used
7   ---   Not used
8   WHT   Red color signal
9   RED   Green color signal
10   BLK   Ground for display unit
11   ---   Not used
12   ---   Not used
13   WHT   Data Bus (-) GA-Net
14   GRN/BLK   Shield for audio bus teminal #5,15
15   RED/BLU   Data Bus (-) GA-Net
16   ---   Not used
17   BLU   Ground for color signal
18   YEL   Blue color signal
19   BRN   Composite video (vert/horz) synching signal
20   GRY   Sheild for terminal #8,9,17,18,19

Hojo_Norem

QuoteJust got my SCART cables for the playstation and I have a few issues...

1) there is a wire going to pin 18 (blanking signal ground?).  What is the purpose of the blanking signal? What do I do with this lead?

This is to tell the TV that there is a RGB signal present.  Some TVs will auto switch to the scart, others wont and most will display a garbled rolling picture until you switch to the scart.  Usually supplying +5V via a 100 ohm resistor does the trick, but I have hear that connecting it to the composite in pin works just as well.

2)  There is also a small lead going from p18 to p17 (composite video ground).  Where should I get the composite video ground from, the wire @ p18?
As Lawrence says, Ground is ground, as long as its connected.

3) There is a wire at p8 (Audio/RGB switch / 16:9), as well a resistor (2Kohm) going from 8 to 6 (Blanking signal).  Again, what is the purpose of these?
Pin 8 is usually used to tell the TV to switch to the scart input and is allso used to tell the tv to go into widescreen (or if you have a 4:3 set that can, letterbox mode) depending on the voltage.

4) There were no grounds at the audio, R, G, or B pins, but there was one lead that was connected to the metal casing.  Is this the ground for all three?

See 2, but according to the scart spec, all used input/outputs must use their corrisponding ground.  You should get away by using just the video or blanking grounds and the audio ground if you are inputting audio.
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

dorrington

So if I understood correctly, I don't need any blanking or switch leads connected since my LCD is always displaying an RGB input (ie, there are no blanking or switch leads in its current state)?

Also, could you double check (2) real quick?  I know the composite video ground must be grounded, but I'm not sure which lead has the composite video ground.  I am assuming it is on the wire at p18, since there is that small lead from 18-17.

Butter_pat_head@work

According to the info in the HwB on GamesX, pin 17 and 18 are video out and video in ground.  On most Tvs I wouldent be suprised if both are connected together to the same ground so it usually dont matter which you use.