News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

JVC X'EYES US version

Started by Mr. Sneeble, October 23, 2003, 03:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Sneeble

Has anyone figured out how to mod this unit?

NFG

Mr. Sneeble

I want to be able to play Japanese Sega CD. Maybe installing a switch will defeat a territorial lockout, like the one I remembered installing on my Sega Saturn. Thanks.

dum dum

im in the wrong hemisphere for machines like that, but i assume that while pal/ntsc+jap/eng switches might work for cartridges, the cd bios would still  reject foreign games and even the console itself. you would probably need to do a more complicated bios chip swap, thats how it is on the traditonal megadrive+megacd setup  

matt

Modding an X'Eye to play foreign carts is really easy (same as any other Genny mod), but all Sega CD units would require a bios swap to play CDs.

Endymion

Well, there were cartridge converters to make playing international CD-ROM games possible with the SegaCD.

Does anyone know where to find any of these?? I actually have MegaCD games that I have not played to this day, all because I don't have a MegaCD...

matt

I don't know if any of the converter cart work on the X'Eye.  Most of them only run on the Sega CD 1 or 2 (and some only on the model 1).

If you have a CD burner, you can rip the CD, change the region code, and re-burn it.  Can't remember where to download the program, but it can't be too hard to find.

Emulators are also a good way to play foreign Mega CDs.

Vertigo

QuoteEmulators are also a good way to play foreign Mega CDs.
Booooo, Hissss ;)

And I'm still after a MCD-1, preferably PAL.

NFG

QuoteEmulators are also a good way to play foreign Mega CDs.
An argument might be made that there's NO good way to play MegaCDs.  I'm of the opinion that since the MCD library was at best mediocre nothing will make the games good.  No original hardware or emulator can turn suck into shine, you know what I mean?    :D  

Vertigo

Heh, well I have 2/3s of the MegaCD library that I want, those being Final Fight and Keio Flying Squadron, and all I need now is Snatcher and a MCD1 unit and I'll be happy.

NFG

Just thought I'd point out the world's only complete English-language MegaCD archive, over at:

http://www.megadriver.org

matt

QuoteAn argument might be made that there's NO good way to play MegaCDs.  I'm of the opinion that since the MCD library was at best mediocre nothing will make the games good.  No original hardware or emulator can turn suck into shine, you know what I mean?    :D
You could say that, but I still like Robo Aleste and Keio Flying Squadron a lot.

Just playing those two games isn't worth dragging my old MCD1 out of storage - Gens does the job fine as far as I'm concerned!

Vertigo

Keio Flying Squadron is aces, especially the story bit at the start.

ido8bit

QuoteWell, there were cartridge converters to make playing international CD-ROM games possible with the SegaCD.

Does anyone know where to find any of these?? I actually have MegaCD games that I have not played to this day, all because I don't have a MegaCD...
I have the Datel CDX pro cartridge, it allows me to play US and JAP Mega CD games on a PAL Mega CD.  It won't work for 32X CD games though.  

If you do look for one make sure that you check the version.  V1.00 will only work on a Mega CD 1.  If you have a Mega CD 2 you need V1.7 or later.  

The other alternative it to patch the ISO.  There is a utility out there that will change the region of a Mega CD ISO.  I tried using it to convert the US version of Soulstar to PAL for a friend who didn't have a converter, but the game crashed after a couple of levels.  

Just to let you know the CDX from datel does not work on a Wondermega 2. Sonic CD and Silpheed were impressive to me when I first had them in 93! They are still playable now.

Agentspikey

QuoteI don't know if any of the converter cart work on the X'Eye.  Most of them only run on the Sega CD 1 or 2 (and some only on the model 1).

If you have a CD burner, you can rip the CD, change the region code, and re-burn it.  Can't remember where to download the program, but it can't be too hard to find.

Emulators are also a good way to play foreign Mega CDs.
www.Eidolons-inn.net had it once not sure now

Beanhead

I have U.S. X'Eye.  It's a pretty good system but what bugs me about it, is that they took off the S-video output that was present in the Japanese version.  I would like to put  one onto mine.  (It looks like they just didn't install the parts on the mainboard.) Does anyone have any information on this system that woul help me in the goal?

Thanks,
Beanhead

Agentspikey95

Fossible method of X'Eye Segacd territory mod:

if it's an EEPROM, just dump it, use a ROM header editor to make the bios JUE and burn it back onto the chip and slap it back in there.
It worked for me in an emulator...

But would this work on the system?
Why are you reading this?