32x problem...loose pins???

Started by kingbuzzo107, September 11, 2004, 10:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingbuzzo107

Hello out there. I have a 32x that I got in a trade a few days ago and I can't get the thing to fully run the games. Here's a step by step of what happens.

-turn on genesis (with 32x and cables hook up)

-then I get the screen with white letters that says:

Produced or under license from sega (

(I think that's it...you should all know what I'm talking about if you've played any genesis games)

So that's what's happening. I've checked the connection and cables many many many times but I just can't figure out where it's coming from. The sega screen can't be built in to the console or else it would show up whenever I turn it on so it must be reading it in the game but can't read anymore than that.......GRRR!!!!

Anyway, I'm really in the dark here and if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kingbuzzo.

NFG

I'd suggest giving the cart port a really vigorous cleaning to start.

kingbuzzo107

Cool, I found a link on how to clean a catridge, but I'm wondering if I can use just plain rubbing alcohol cause I can't think of a place in canada that would have such a thing. Anyway, here's the link.

sega cartridge cleaning

Thanks again man!!

Kingbuzzo.

NFG

You can use rubbing alcohole or any head cleaner, like from a floppy or VHS cleaning kit.  They're still quite common.  Just be sure not to use something that'll come apart and clog the port, like tissues or in some cases Q-tips.

Martin

lol, I remember once when I was working in my Master System I accidently snapped one of the pins out of the cart connector :o

so I replaced it with a cut - up paper clip  =)
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

kingbuzzo107

One thing I've noticed is that there's no real guide on how to clean the actual connector that the cart goes into. I have yet to clean the male end of the 32x so I guess I wont worry about it right now. And would using a qtip be out of the question? That guy on the site used it and it seemed to work out for him.

thanks a lot,

Kingbuzzo.

NFG

You can safely use a Q-tip on the PCB edge connector, but don't stick it into the cart slot, it'll shred and cause grief.  You can get some fine-grit sandpaper, fold it so it's stiff and shove that into the slot a few times, that'll clean the connectors and rough 'em up so they make better contact for a long time.  This will work for the edge connector also, but remember you're not trying to sand the thing, just clean it.  A few strokes is plenty.