Output GameGear video to NTSC TV?

Started by rockman87, October 22, 2003, 10:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockman87

Has anyone successfully modified a GameGear to output NTSC video?  I've found a few discussions about it around the internet.

http://www.geocities.com/vjkemp/sega/ggtv.htm

My thought was that this would make a nice portable GG/SMS system (because that GG screen is terrible!)

NFG

That's hugely interesting.  I imagine the Sega part is a more sophisticated DAC, not unlike the one found in the GBA TV adaptors.

Atom

I remember when i had a gamegear in middle school (actually its still sitting around) i tried to take it apart and hook it up to my tv. I took the wires from the video tube or whatever and hooked it into a rca video in. To make a short story short, which it already is, it didnt work. Whats wrong with the game gear screen? I mean yeah it would be great to have it on tv but you said the screen sucks. I think its the best screen to ever come out on a handheld, i guess except gba sp.

NFG

QuoteI think its the best screen to ever come out on a handheld, i guess except gba sp.

Clearly, sir, you ain't seen nothin' at all.  The TurboExpress, Sega Nomad, and PCEngine LT all had screens that made the GameGear look stupid.  It's a very cheap screen, with poor contrast and poor off-axis viewing.  It's only the best if you compare it to the original GameBoy, I'm afraid.

L.

Richter X

Now if only they would come out with the handhelds with SOLED screens. The picture will make you tear up.

NFG

The screen on my celphone is deadly sweet, 240x320 TFT PolySilicon screen, 32k colours...  Pure bliss.  Now if only they'd shove one of these into a portable...  Imagine the power of the GP32 with a screen 2/3 the size with the same resolution, backlit and super-clear!  <drool>