PLEASE HELP! need to play imports on X'eye!

Started by aphexacid, August 28, 2004, 12:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphexacid

Hi all.

Can someone please tell me if and how to play imports on the JVC X'eye?
Its the american system, and i just bought games for iy because i thought it didnt have a lockout. then, i bought a cartrudege called "pro cdx". i thought that would be an import converter. well, i guess it doesnt work on x'eye.

PLease tell me what to do! i need help big time!!

D-Lite

I'm in the process of modding one right now :)

aphexacid

Ohh boy. modding key word eh? so theres not a cartridge i can buy? will modding it be difficult? i'm a complete know-nothing when it comes to that stuff. never soldered anything in my life!

Would you be willing to help me out if it works?

D-Lite

I believe there is a cart you can use too.  Anyone know?

The mod works no problem.  Oh, and Lawrence, the jumpers on the US X'Eye are R194 and R196 for 50/60 and US/JP respectively.

Did the S-Video mod on it too, Neo-Geo AES style  

aphexacid

can you tell me how to mod this thing? do you have instructions? would iy be difficuly for someone with ZERO know-how?

NFG

QuoteThe mod works no problem. Oh, and Lawrence, the jumpers on the US X'Eye are R194 and R196 for 50/60 and US/JP respectively.
Thanks, I'll make note of that.

QuoteDid the S-Video mod on it too, Neo-Geo AES style
Er...  Doesn't it do Svideo natively?  All the Wondermegas do, I thought it was the same with the X'eye.  Damned cheap JVC.

D-Lite

QuoteThe mod works no problem. Oh, and Lawrence, the jumpers on the US X'Eye are R194 and R196 for 50/60 and US/JP respectively.
Thanks, I'll make note of that.

QuoteDid the S-Video mod on it too, Neo-Geo AES style
Er...  Doesn't it do Svideo natively?  All the Wondermegas do, I thought it was the same with the X'eye.  Damned cheap JVC.
Nope, no S-Video on the board.  The beauty of it is the PCB has the spot for the mount, but none of the circuit is in place.  And the case has the markings where it would be stamped, but ain't there.  I slap some pics up in the future.

And to do the mod takes a bit of experience.  It's not rocket science, especially compared to some other mods you could do, but you definitely need to be at least capable of soldering to an SMT chip to do this mod.

trol

Does the mod work with cd games or only carts?

D-Lite

QuoteDoes the mod work with cd games or only carts?
Both.

But here's a question maybe someone else can answer.  I can't seem to get the 50/60 Hz mod to respond.  Meaning I can't play UK games.  Anyone else mod one of these?

Endymion

Both.
It doesn't require a ROM swap to play international CDs? Is the mod either of these two? If not do you have linkage to the one you're working with?

D-Lite

Both.
It doesn't require a ROM swap to play international CDs? Is the mod either of these two? If not do you have linkage to the one you're working with?
It's like the one on GameSX, but with the US X'Eye.  I can play US and JP carts on the system no prob, but the UK cart ain't workin'.  I need to check all the connections again first.

Haven't gotten to try JP/UK CD games.  Is the ROM swap required for those?

Endymion

Hm, well if you've only tried carts so far I think we can assume you still need a ROM swap (either to another region or a universal ROM) in order to play international CD games, as the lockouts for the two game types are separate I'm afraid. They are with all the other separated systems, and I'd thought the Wondermega as well.

I still have Japanese Mega CDs that I've never played because of this very reason. :(