Dreamcast VGAbox hack

Started by TuZhao, August 12, 2004, 07:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TuZhao

I decided to go for the VGA box hack in order to display my DC on the arcade monitor. Problem is, using the continuity mode on my tester I found 2 wires both going to pins 6 and 7 on the DC side. So I cannot tell which is pin 6 (to be cut) from pin 7 (to be left alone)  :unsure:
I have 2 different VGA boxes (one from Naki and the other unknown) and both have the same problem!
What can I do to find the correct wire (without cutting at random?)?
Proud Carmageddon player since 1997[/b]
I love shoot'em ups. I love arcade games. I love 2D games.

NFG

Why not cut them at random?  It's easy to reconnect if it fails.  And no matter which you cut you'll still be in 15kHz RGB mode, not sure what the difference is, sorry.

TuZhao

In the BuyYourOwnArcadeControls forum they say that you have to cut the wire 6 but not the wire 7. When both are grounded the VGA mode is on. If only wire 7 is grounded then you should get 15 kHz (as they say in the FAQ).

Darklegion

pin 6 is 31khz select,so yes that is the wire you'll need to cut.

TuZhao

Problem is, I'm unable to tell pin 6 from 7 so I'll have to cut at random and hope that I get it right the first time :)

Tom61

Can't you unplug the connector to the VGA box's PCB? That should make it easy to find the right wire then, as both aren't grounded anymore.

TuZhao

My 2 vga boxes don't have a connector on the PCB so I unsoldered the wire. I had 50% to get the right wire at first, and obviously I got the wrong one :)
Now the pin 7 is unsoldered: as soon as I put my hands on a vga cable I'll see if the hack is working.