TV RGB Problem

Started by Langrisser, October 18, 2003, 06:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langrisser

I'm not sure if this really belongs here, but anyway...
I'm having a really strange problem with the RGB port of my Panasonic TV (TX-28XD60C). Here are two pictures:

As you can see, I hooked up my modded N64 to take these pictures. The first pictures shows the N64 connected to S-Video and the second shows the result of the Scart RGB connection. The mod to the N64 was done properly and also the cable was modded correctly for RGB. My other consoles would show the same results, so it really is a TV problem.

Does anyone have a clue what could possibly be wrong with this thing?

NFG

That's the strangest thing I've ever seen.  The TV is obviously misinterpreting the signal somehow...  Either with some broken image processing or something.  You're not feeding it to a digital input, are you?

Langrisser

No, it's a regular (European) Scart RGB input. The b/w image (when reducing the TVs overall color intensity) via RGB input is ok, also FBAS/Composite signal works fine at this input.
What is strange, the DigiSat receiver's RGB signal looks great and it appears to be real RGB. You can select different output modes from the receiver's menue and there's a notable difference between FBAS and RGB. It's hooked up via a scart-to-scart cable with all the cable's pins connected, there aren't any resistors in this cable.
But as I wrote, all my other consoles display an odd picture when hooked up via RGB.

Richter X

Are you absolutely sure you don't have any pins crossed on the SCART cable you're using?

Langrisser

Yes, I'm sure about that. I checked it multiple times (besides it works great with my XRGB-2), and as I wrote, my other consoles show a similiar strange picture.

seen

It could be that the N64's RGB output is messed up. I know one instance where I killed DC's VGA output by fucking with the VGA adapter. The Composite video worked fine but the VGA was dead. Try another N64. These look like pixel related video buffer read problems.

Vertigo

No, he said it happens on all his consoles.
Looks like time to get the TV engineer in mate. Make absolutely sure you tell him exactly what's wrong with it and give him the make and model of the TV, coz it looks like you'll need a new SCART decoder chip. Don't let him come round your manor and umm and aah and then tell you that and charge you call out while he goes down the caff for a cuppa.

dum dum

perhaps the tv is expecting the input to be svideo rather than rgb? but this conflicts with what you mentioned about the rgb reciever thing.

i know i get poor images if i connect svideo to my rgb scart tv that doesnt do svideo (n64 gives weak colours almost mono, snes gives a colourful but chunky image similar to yours), but this is the opposite of your situation..