Gamecube RGB mod - quality

Started by Zaarin, August 04, 2004, 01:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaarin

Hi.
I've been thinking of buying an NTSC Gamecube and since I live in Europe, I would want it to output RGB. I've seen the instructions for the RGB mod and I'm wondering how good the quality is. Has anyone here compared it to the RGB output of a PAL Gamecube?
I've considered buying a PAL Gamecube too, but I mainly play NTSC games so then I would have to use a freeloader disc every time.

dj898

why?
Component cable from Nintendo with NTSC GC will give you better picture as well as prog signal from supported titles...

cheers

NFG

Now this is strictly conjecture, but I think the RGB output in the PAL GC is probably derived in the same way the NTSC hack is; digital video converted to RGB.  The quality of your TV will play a far bigger role than the quality of the signal at this point.

Zaarin

dj898: The only TVs with component input and progressive scan in Europe are expensive LCD and plasma TVs.

Lawrence: I thought so. Just wanted to ask to make sure. A console isn't the cheapest thing in the world :)

hellbelly

I use both an ntsc cube with a custom rgb lead and a pal cube on the same tv, and the picture quality is no different.

I used to use my pal cube with an official rgb lead, but then was told that the custom rgb lead would work with the pal cube aswell.  It never occurred to me that the digital port on the pal cube actually did anything!

Pete

Zaarin

Thanks for your answer. Guess I'll go for an NTSC cube then :)
Btw, did anyone know that Nintendo stopped putting digital AV outputs on Gamecubes made after May 2004?

NFG

QuoteBtw, did anyone know that Nintendo stopped putting digital AV outputs on Gamecubes made after May 2004?
I'd heard that they would, but not that they did.  Interesting.

Schweino

Aidan

QuoteComponent cable from Nintendo with NTSC GC will give you better picture
Ignoring progressive here... ;)
Technically, unless the console operates natively in Y,Cb,Cr, the console has to do a conversion from it's RGB colour space into Y,Cb,Cr colour space. Then, when it's received at the other end, the display device has to convert it from Y, Cb, Cr colour space back into RGB colour space. We all know that such conversions are not perfect, so operating in component leads to slight loss in quality.

The only time there isn't a slight loss is when one or both ends operate in component colour space natively. Immediately that excludes consoles, LCD and CRT devices. A DVD, however, is encoded in component colour space.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]