anyone interested in offloading dead snes's?

Started by phreak97, July 19, 2004, 10:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phreak97

i need a source for complete shells from usa snes consoles, though, it might be better to buy whole broken snes consoles, because i need the whole thing, including the eject mechanism with the metal bar and spring, and i need the cotroller ports aswell, the main problem with this is shipping, i am in australia, and would want whoever this source may be, to be sending me more than one, say 3, at once (i could live on 3 for a while anyway) to combine shipping.. i wouldnt want to pay much for the consoles.. maybe a couple of dollers each max, or it will end out a waste of time after shipping is included. really im looking for someone with about 3 dead usa snes consoles with undamaged casing who just wants to offload them, not someone looking to make alot of money. (if there is such a person).
hopefully that all makes sense.. post here or pm me if you can help out.
thanks

edit: yay this was my 150th post! i am now a champion!:D

NFG

If you want Super Famicoms by the boatload they're cheap in Japan.  

That said, your post count is nothing compared to mine!

Martin

Dude, you should see some of the members on the official SEGa USA forums, they're members have like 10, 500+ posts. :blink:  
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

NFG

FWIW I'll ban anyone who evel looks like they're thinking about trying to raise their post count without something to  say.

atom

Come on... tell us what you need em for!
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Scared0o0Rabbit

if you think that's bad you should see the ign vault forums.  In any case, I'm kinda curious about what these are for too lol.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

bcforn64

I could use two american 1st gen broken snes consoles for a project I'm doing too.  :D  

RobIvy64

I have a few odds and ends. 2 SNES boards (USA) , a case, and some misc parts. the boards are dead though
"Console Mods" lurker

phreak97

ok, people in pal countries pay quite a bit for modified consoles that can play imports without a new tv.. im no good with cutting plastic, and i felt like making something special for these kinds of people.. i want to get some usa snes shells, so all import carts will fit with minimum case modification, and put pal snes guts in with the two switches for 50/60 and lockout.. i want to put one or two on ebay as a trial to see what people will pay, im not going to advertise it as any limited edition or anything, i will fully explain what it is, and that it is a custom console..

but i still need to get the parts..

phreak97

theres nobody wants to gimme their shells?:(
wtf am i gonna do now?

bcforn64

Absolutely nothing, I've been searching for them too. If you find a good provider PM me, I will do the same if I find a good provider of broken US SNES consoles.

hellbelly

Ebay got funny with me for selling modified Megadrive's and SNES's and threatened to close my account down.  They don't like people selling consoles modified to play imports (at least ebay UK don't anyway).  In the end I asked them if I could sell them if they only had 50/60hz switches fitted, so I always just advertised this feature.

Pete

Gaz

i got the same thing on ebay trying to sell a modified snes (60/50hz switch)- i got accused of basically being a pirate, got threatened with closure of my account and had my auction withdrawn. yet there are people selling modified PS2s that are chipped to run copied games, i.e. pirate software, and people selling cds full of emulators packaged with hundreds of copyrighted roms.

in the end i modified the auction to underline the fact i wasn't selling pirate games or equipment that ran pirate games, but what i want to know is how do these other scoffers get away with it?

it really grips my sh*t that we live in a country (uk pal) that forces us to have to modify our consoles to get the manufacturer's intended result, yet when we do it we get torn new a**holes, and these are consoles that have been off the comercial market for almost a decade, so it's not as if nintendo are making a loss!

phreak97

thats odd.. i know someone who modded a snes to hell and back then sold it as a modded console on ebay, plus included an import game and a pal game, the console was a pal snes with 50/60 and lockout switches and a widened cart slot, it was also spray painted black.
it sold for about AU$150

shouldnt it be ok if you write a little disclaimer saying in capitols that it is not modified in any way to run illegal software or pirated games?

hellbelly

I think it's just luck if you get away with selling it.  Not only do ebay not like you selling consoles modified to sell pirated software, they specifically say it's not allowed to run imports either.

I kept emailing them saying that these modified "retro" consoles are a good thing, encouraging people to hunt out the real version of games instead of just using illegal roms etc.  I got all the usual replies saying to read the T&C's.  Eventually I got an intelligent reply apologising that my account had been threatened, and that they do understand my points, but the industry clamps down on them etc etc.  I suppose that could be possible for the current consoles, it's just frustating that it gets carried over to the older ones aswell.

Pete

phreak97

yet they have famiclones, and actual cdr's with roms and emulators for sale..
and they dont care about people buying consoles from other countries..

could it be that they just look for items that specifically say they are modified?
perhapse if you just say it has a switch to change video modes and it can play almost any game from any country.. you dont even have to say you know its not meant to be like that.. you can be all like "i didnt know it wasn't made like that.. i just thought it was special.."

i dunno.. anyway.. i can try cant i? they gotta give me one warning dont they? if i get warned, ill stop selling them.

Gaz

you're both partially right, when i modified the auction i specifically stated that the console was only modified with a 50/60hz switch, giving you the speed option and stating nothing about imports. i hoped people who expressed an interest would know something about the background of 50/60hz modding and email me to ask whether the lockout chip had been disabled (which it had but as i'd not mentioned it ebay's attention was not drawn to it). i also stated in bold underlined capitol letters that pirate software could not be played on it.

anyway to cut a long and boring story short i got the auction back up, but the trouble i had to go to was unreal cosidering that some people get away without the hassle i had...

phreak97

and yes, i would like sfc's by the boatload^^ but shipping to australia sucks T_T