Does anyone have any info on the 3DO's video chip

Started by Vertigo, October 14, 2003, 10:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vertigo

Does anyone yeh that what I wrote up there.
Are there any differences between the makes of system or are they all exactly the same chip? Is there a difference between PAL and NTSC chips, apart from one outputs PAL and one outputs NTSC?
Does anyone know if a supposedly PAL disc will output full speed and full screen on a NTSC 3DO?
Are there any 3DO systems that are capable of RGB at all, or are we looking at composite and S-Video only due to the mongy video chip?
Thanks.

Endymion

If there were any hard information on the RGB layout for the 3DO I'm sure we would have seen it here on this site by now. I really wish we had as well, but I am guessing that the hardware is probably capable of this but that no electrical engineer with sufficient skills, knowledge, and interest has yet tackled a 3DO board with a meter to root out the wires to tap. At least we're not stuck with composite.

Vertigo

I'm stuck with composite coz Panasonic decided not to allow their low-end TVs to do S-Video in the UK, but their excellent RGB quality more than makes up for it.
I guess I'll have to open my machine up and take a look at the video chip when I get home in 4 months then.

NFG

according to someone who claims to have talked to a panasonic rep, the 3DO cannot do RGB.  They omitted this feature for cost reasons.

Endymion

Looks like the best way to make the 3DO look good is to play Policenauts, then.

Vertigo

QuoteLooks like the best way to make the 3DO look good is to play Policenauts, then.
Or Star Control II ;)

Vertigo

Does anyone here have a NTSC Goldstar 3DO that they could do a decent resolution scan of for me, or a list of the differences between it and the PAL version?

dum dum

i dont know if 3do stuff was even sold down here, but wasnt there a 3do compatible pc card made by the soundblaster guys? or was that something else alltogether

Vertigo

Well the reason I'm after a scan of the Goldstar one is because I have the PAL version and want to see the physical differences between this and the NTSC version's board. I can't currently afford the ridiculous shipping to get one from the US, and to be honest I really don't want to buy another Goldstar, I'd rather get hold of an FZ-1.