Does the switchless mod kill your saturn?

Started by Martin, July 03, 2004, 04:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

Yeah,
I did switchless mod from gamesx :P
But all of my friends are now saying to me that the mod kills the console.. :blink:
Is this true?
Or are they just idiots who probobly connected it up to 9v intead of 5?
:huh:
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

NFG

Anyone who says that is a f**king idiot.  Obviously it doesn't kill your Saturn or I wouldn't have put the mod up there!

Martin

Ok thanks :-D
Here's his story... which admitedly sounds a bit retarded :rolleyes: :

"Yeah, true, but modding consoles shortens their life span; trust me I've had countless consoles die on me due to modding." "[It was] an electrition and had the full instructions on how to mod them, but now days i just get jap consoles, I never bother with [] chips these, days and trust me no matter how good the modding job is it will kill the console regardless."  

Please not that the [] bits are just where I've cut some crap out to shorten the length of the post, and he was talking to me about modding saturns at the time.

NFG

He's fucking stupid.  Anyone who shortens the lifespans of their consoles by modding them does a piss-poor job of doing it.  =)

Endymion

If you mod your console every atom that comprises your body will simultaneously explode at the speed of light, then time will cycle backwards as the universe begins to collapse upon itself ending reality as we know it and it will be all your fault.

Oh and I just modded my SuperGrafx.

Martin

Well technically..
Modding can destroy a console if you use the wrong equipment, like if you dont brake the current circuit that uses 5V before you make a new one on the same points that uses GND, then it might short/burnout your console..
and I didnt know if the 157 chip brakes a circuit before it makes a new one.. or if there is any "overlap" time.

NFG

Even if the '157 is a make-before-break switch it happens so fast there's zero chance of damage, even with long-term use.  

Chips aren't real switches, at no point do they actually switch a physical connection like a normal, hand-operated switch does.  Chips are more like a virtual switch, where they produce an output identical to the input, but from a different source entirely.  Put another way, when you adjust the select line of the '157 it adjusts its output (1Y) to match the input of either 1A or 1B, it does not physically connect these inputs to the output.

Conclusion: Stop using your antiquated analogue concepts when dealing with the exciting new world of Digital Technology <insert booming sound and angel choir here>.  Also, don't worry.  =)

Yod@

QuoteConclusion: Stop using your antiquated analogue concepts when dealing with the exciting new world of Digital Technology <insert booming sound and angel choir here>.
Sorry, but I may just have to steal that and use it as a sig sometime.  :lol:  

Martin

LOL!.
I can imagine that booming and angel choir sound from the part of the last Evangelion movie when Eva Unit 02 burst out of a lake.

gannon

Yeah, the Evangelion series had some heavy use of that classical and choir music.
And Lawrence, do you happen to know what the maximum voltage inputs on A and B are for the multiplexer?
Here is my site, it has a few mods, mostly to do with portablization.

Martin

Hey that reminds me Ive been looking everywhere for the N64 version of Eva But I cant find it :angry:  

gannon

Yeah, I wanted to buy it awhile ago off of ebay, but it was $100. I found another site that actually sells it, but they want $200 for it.
I do have a slight working rom of it, so I know that the game itself is great, but the rom doesn't work quite right and I want the real thing!

Edit:
Here is a buy it now one on ebay that's new.
Here is my site, it has a few mods, mostly to do with portablization.

Martin

Wow,
I had no idea it would cost that much.
I suppose Id settle for a saturn evangelion game, theyre easier to find lol.