How Run Games MegaLoMania On Sharp x68000 Emulators+Populous Promised Lands(ADD-on)

Started by Sugo77, December 06, 2023, 08:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

incrediblehark

Hmm, I was able to get it through by renaming pop.x to popold.x, then copying pop.x from the working hdd install of populous over to to my promised lands folder. Run promised lands again to create a username, then I quit and deleted pop.x in promised lands folder and renamed popold.x to pop.x. I think the problem is copy protection when setting up a new user. In the disks i attached previously there is a file named username.idx in the DATA folder, but it is hidden, read only, and system flags attached to it. So maybe it didn't copy over for you.

Sugo77

Btw, for understand accepted and working or no ADD-on, you are can easy understand about this by next method...
If you qre will use button ESC in menu, where you are will be chosing "WORLD TO CONQUER", where you can typed name "GENESIS", then this will be accepted content from ADD-on, and must autochnaged all sprites on first content from ADD-on from Promised Land Disk on Ages of EDO, with Units Samurais!
That is must works...
Desciption also will be autochanging on this...:

But, for me now, if i press ESC in menu, where i must typed names, always crash with error which in previous my post... This from your Floppy Disks, and i do not know why...
Maybe me need some driver or your Floppy Disk which you are found in internet with this game have buges or not all files... I not sure...
Tester

Sugo77

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 24, 2023, 03:33:19 AMHmm, I was able to get it through by renaming pop.x to popold.x, then copying pop.x from the working hdd install of populous over to to my promised lands folder. Run promised lands again to create a username, then I quit and deleted pop.x in promised lands folder and renamed popold.x to pop.x. I think the problem is copy protection when setting up a new user. In the disks i attached previously there is a file named username.idx in the DATA folder, but it is hidden, read only, and system flags attached to it. So maybe it didn't copy over for you.

I understand...
Me always need time x2...
First because langue barrier.
Second i always do all slowly for understand better!...
Will be do in time and will be sending results...
Tester

Sugo77

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 24, 2023, 03:33:19 AMRun promised lands again to create a username,
A small, but important clarification in this part of your method...
By which file exactly you run game at this stage/step? popold.x(Which was pop.x) or popolous.x?
Tester

incrediblehark

Alright, I think I understand. The install just patched the original Populous disk to be usable with promised lands. Then during game you use the DEL key to access the promised lands content. I think in this case because the system is looking for a physical disk, unless the game can be patched to remove that check, you may be stuck with using an actual disk. You may be able to use 2hdsim just for the promised lands disk and see if it will access in game. I'm going to try this now...

incrediblehark

Quote from: Sugo77 on December 24, 2023, 04:00:45 AM
Quote from: incrediblehark on December 24, 2023, 03:33:19 AMRun promised lands again to create a username,
A small, but important clarification in this part of your method...
By which file exactly you run game at this stage/step? popold.x(Which was pop.x) or popolous.x?

I was using this to bypass the copy protection by copying the pop.x from Populous (not patched for promised lands) just to get a username created. I think if you can access the username.idx file on the disk and copy it over to your folder you don't need to do this.

Sugo77

By your method now me not automoves anymore to Visual Shell and Machine not autorebooted\not reseting\not reloading, with this all fine now, but and additional content from Promise Land not acepted-not activited anymore... :(
I do not know why...
Additional Content from Promise Island must be activited by press ESC in options how said Manual at Japanese Langue here:
https://archive.org/download/Sharp_X68000_Collection/Sharp_X68000_Collection.zip/Sharp%20X68000%2FPopulous%20-%20The%20Promised%20Lands%20%28Imagineer%29%2FPopulous%20-%20The%20Promised%20Lands%20%5Bextras%5D.zip

And this working on Floppy Disks. do not know why not working on HDD... :(
Tester

incrediblehark

ok, I got it. Its all working for me. when you start up a game conquest, go to settings and click custom and paint map, then start. INS and DEL will cycle through available skins/tilesets which include the new ones like block world and samurai.

if you get a message asking for a disk by pressing INS, click cancel and press the DEL key instead, or vice versa. when you get that message that means it has cycled through all available on disk and is looking for more when prompted for landscape disk. But they are all installed on my image.

I think I may be able to help you. I'll reupload my floppy disks with the username.idx not hidden so you can copy all over and see if the game works for you.

Sugo77

Thanks you!
I will checking and testing in few time, not sure how long, but will be do this... Thnaks...
Tester

Sugo77

incrediblehark, man i tested... And again same error:

I was just use Copyall in DOS from both your Floppy Disks:
Populous Promised 1
Populous Promised 2
And in game i can move maximum only to the first menu when neeed type name!(When need type some name) But, when i just try type any name, then 2-3 attemps(Name even autoremoved to empty always, when i try accept name after typed in text window), and system again auto-moves me to Visuall Shell SX-Window...
Tester

Sugo77

incrediblehark, if you are can, can you are just share with your working game Promised Land in archive?
I even not sure now in which can be problem...
How you are was install game on your HDD Image?
By use command Copyall in DOS or by use Disk Explorer, or by which method?
And from which Floppy Disk need copy content first? I checked they have same files in your folder DATA...(Hm, even maybe in this reason... In original Floppy Disks Populous and Populous Promised Land have different files in their folders DATA, not dupicated-not replaies, in your many dublicates-replaies files, with same names on both Floppy Disks in folders DATA...)
Also, maybe because your file username.idx was changed or no? I totally not sure now in which can be reasons of errors... :(
And last...
In begin, after copied all files to my HDD from your last uploaded files with Floppy Disks, for first run game, i was use POP.X, maybe first was need use Populous.X?(Also maybe in this can be reason of error?)

P.S.:
Btw!
After spended additional time, and doing additionat tests, i was try copy files from your Floppy Disks inside Visual Shell SX-Window, and... All files was copied and just only file username.idx not want copied... Strange file, really maybe protected, and maybe exactly in this file main reason of errors... I not sure...
Tester

incrediblehark

Of course, I'm almost done with my HDD image - you can load it up and move the files over to your image. I usually use LHES when copying files as it will see all hidden and system files. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you.

Sugo77

incrediblehark, yes man! Now almost all working and for me...(But, not all yet... Small detail will be in end of this text after qutoes...
After spending addtitional 2-3 hours i also got working by your all methods in onw...
Was use this, this need for frst time, or not will working nothing...:

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 24, 2023, 03:33:19 AMHmm, I was able to get it through by renaming pop.x to popold.x, then copying pop.x from the working hdd install of populous over to to my promised lands folder. Run promised lands again to create a username, then I quit and deleted pop.x in promised lands folder and renamed popold.x to pop.x. I think the problem is copy protection when setting up a new user. In the disks i attached previously there is a file named username.idx in the DATA folder, but it is hidden, read only, and system flags attached to it. So maybe it didn't copy over for you.

Second, i not was know how change skins, sprites, maps...
After this your guide and with this solved!...(But, after this quote, will be small deatail, what we are not finish yet...):

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 24, 2023, 04:33:31 AMok, I got it. Its all working for me. when you start up a game conquest, go to settings and click custom and paint map, then start. INS and DEL will cycle through available skins/tilesets which include the new ones like block world and samurai.

if you get a message asking for a disk by pressing INS, click cancel and press the DEL key instead, or vice versa. when you get that message that means it has cycled through all available on disk and is looking for more when prompted for landscape disk. But they are all installed on my image.

I think I may be able to help you. I'll reupload my floppy disks with the username.idx not hidden so you can copy all over and see if the game works for you.

Now all working, even i can play on Winter Map(My favorite seaon and in video-games also)

But, now to detail...
This all good, and we are solved i think many, but man... This how i understand we are get only for custom-free game on one match maybe... For conquest mode this not work, but from Floppy Disks, this is working, and even we are can see and reading briefing\plot how on this pictures for Samurais\EDO:

I do not know how this to do for this on HDD and possible this or no, but anyway we are get many from today...

Tester

incrediblehark

What did you do to get those options with the floppy disk boot? It may end up needing 2hdsim to achieve this...

Sugo77

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 24, 2023, 07:55:49 AMWhat did you do to get those options with the floppy disk boot? It may end up needing 2hdsim to achieve this...

Man, this(Method) already was here...:
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?msg=49283
From began at words "how i got this"...
Sorry my bad english language and as big texts, but about this was there...
Tester

Sugo77

incrediblehark, sorry as a little rude text in previous message to you... We are together anyway solved so many tasks for short time with run hard games, and this perfect, heh...

If in simple word to say my method, I just swapped the disks around, and pressed Insert-del, and installed the content from the disk with additional material, I just don't know where, it looks like from disk to disk, and then a message appeared with a story about Samurai...

Well, now I tried the method of replacing disks with each other on the 'Conquest' screen, and I got this plot and the units too, but the plot is not always.... It's harder to understand... I did it mostly in random ways, if  talk the true even not sure how correctly got this..  Just by random different methods... How and i said in begin, by ~1001 random methos... (Now even not remember exactly how. True...)

P.S.:
And i think last info on today...
What i was try to do, translate Japanese Manual to this game, and trying to do all form instructions... Anyway this was hard and working only 50 on 50+language bariers, translators in internet work not ideal...
You can also try translate, there is helpful inforamtion and instructions even with pictures...(How run correct Promise Island and content from this... And how select this... Hard to understand, but some words can be understandable by use translators by pictures in internet...)
https://archive.org/download/Sharp_X68000_Collection/Sharp_X68000_Collection.zip/Sharp%20X68000%2FPopulous%20-%20The%20Promised%20Lands%20%28Imagineer%29%2FPopulous%20-%20The%20Promised%20Lands%20%5Bextras%5D.zip
Tester

incrediblehark

No worries! It was my fault for skipping past what you had earlier. I am not too familiar with this game so the interface is a little clunky for me.

Sugo77

incrediblehark, pre sleep, i was do next, and this also gived some results again...
In Disk A insert original Disk with Populous, waiting to Title Menu, where Castle(Picture), next step insert Floppy Disk Promised Island, after press button ESC - this will launch\run the DOS environment. Next step - Install content to Floppy A, where game Populous, next this will be saids on japanese language Installed Sucessfully, next, we are need moving to another disk in DOS (A: B: or B: A: depends in which Drive your Disk with Populous) with the game Populous, after in DOS. i typed command Populous.x or just Populous(And press Enter), this will be automatic reset machine\emulator, and additional content in game will be active! Can chose and play but only by Floppy Disks!
Now i must go on rest...
Tester

Sugo77

Forgot add last...
After this, what i said in previous post, need swap disk from Drive 0 ( A ) with game Populous to Disk Promised Land, and you will be get Plot about Samurais\EDO in Conquest!
And yes, main... Need press button ESC in Conquest one or more time, i do not know why, but about this saids even in Manual on japanese language... This will be accept\activate totally Japanese Samurai History\Plot and Game, Map, Units, etc...
Perfect, workiing method man!(Now tested 2 times)
Now really need to go on rest...
Good luck with attemps...
Tester

incrediblehark

After trying to get it to work, I don't think this will be possible. I am removing my install as it is incomplete - can't access the new maps. The problem is that hitting ESC would trigger a disk check in Drive 0: (A:) but there is no disk inserted. If you load from the HDD it doesn't look like it reads the floppy drives. You would need to patch the game to not make those checks and read from the HDD instead I think. Sorry to say but I'm giving up on this for now. Maybe you will have more luck...

Sugo77

Heh, no problem!
Anyway we are already get many from this game(Populous), and even play on HDD in Custom Mode at differenet skins(\Units) of armies and on map, much better than nothing!
And anyway, we are always can play from Floppy Disks, why not...
Anyway how always thanks for feedback, and anyway how always you are great...
If talk true, sometimes at my house i begin call you are Master of Sharp x68000! :)

Thanks for all at this step...

Will see by time, what next will be give again by fate, but maybe now, with all gotten exprience with this all, maybe will solved problems with run games and content from Sharp x68000 even just by myself, time will show...
On this moment anyway, i sucesfully runed 50+ games from Sharp x68000 on HDD, and on Floppy Disks as some months...
Tester

Sugo77

Upgraded\added\fixed my two instructions\manual how to acccept\activated ADD-on Promised Lands on Floppy Disk, if in future maybe someone also will be interesting how this run...:
1.:
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?msg=49309
2.:
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?msg=49310
Plus instruction\manual how chose Skins by Master\Mister incrediblehark also will be very helpfull!:
3.:
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?msg=49299

P.S.:
And instruction\manual from incrediblehark, if anyone also want have Promised Lands on HDD:
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?msg=49292

This all helpfull information from us about Populous and ADD-on Populous Promised Lands.

Good luck to all and have fun with this game! :)

P.S.2.0.:
By This Way, after solved problems, i even change main name of this great topic with many helpfull information!... :)
Now this will be named that:
How To Run Games MegaLoMania On Sharp x68000 Emulators+Populous Promised Lands(ADD-on)
Tester

Sugo77

Lost half of day for write Guide with Description to this game, and maded special Screenshots from Original game Populous and from ADD-on Populous Promised Land by company Imagineer for you are all!(For this forum nfggames, which helped me, i want do something for you all!... :) ):

Video-Games From Sharp X68000:
Populous And Populous Promised Lands(ADD-on), Extra Lands And Units, From Original Floppy Disk:
Populous (1989)(Imagineer)
And From ADD-on To Populous:
Populous Promised Land (19xx)(Imagineer)

1.:
Extra Lands And Units, From Original Floppy Disk:
Populous (1989)(Imagineer)
1.:
Populous, Extra Lands And Units, 1 Base-Original, Map: Green Land, Season Spring, Units: Humans, 1, From Original Floppy Disk: Populous (1989)(Imagineer), 1(24.12.2023):

2.:
Populous, Extra Lands And Units, 2 Base-Changed, Map: Green Land, Season Autumn, Units: Humans, 2, From Original Floppy Disk: Populous (1989)(Imagineer), 2(24.12.2023):

3.:
Populous, Extra Lands And Units, 3 Base-Changed, Map: Green Land, Season Winter, Units Humans, 3, From Original Floppy Disk: Populous (1989)(Imagineer), 3(24.12.2023):

4.: 
Populous, Extra Lands And Units, 4 Base-Changed, Map: Green Land, Season Summer(\Hot Summer\Volcano\Red Land\Red Map), Units Humans, 4, From Original Floppy Disk: Populous (1989)(Imagineer), 4(24.12.2023):

2.:
Extra Lands And Units, From Additional(ADD-on) Floppy Disk:
Populous Promised Land (19xx)(Imagineer)
5.: 
Populous Promised Lands(ADD-on), Extra Lands And Units, 5 Base-Changed, Edition\Map: Ages Of Edo, Season Summer, Units: Samurais, 5, From Additional(ADD-on) Floppy Disk: Populous Promised Land (19xx)(Imagineer), 5(24.12.2023):

6.: 
Populous Promised Lands(ADD-on), Extra Lands And Units, 6 Base-Changed, Edition\Map: French Revolution, Season Summer, Units: French Soldiers, 6, From Additional(ADD-on) Floppy Disk: Populous Promised Land (19xx)(Imagineer), 6(24.12.2023):

7.: 
Populous Promised Lands(ADD-on), Extra Lands And Units, 7 Base-Changed, Edition\Map: Silly Land, Season Summer\Chess Board, Units: Green Plants, 7, From Additional(ADD-on) Floppy Disk Populous Promised Land (19xx)(Imagineer), 7(24.12.2023):

8.: 
Populous Promised Lands(ADD-on), Extra Lands And Units, 8 Base-Changed, Edition\Map: Block Land, Season Summer\LEGO, Units: LEGO Soldiers, 8, From Additional(ADD-on) Floppy Disk Populous Promised Land (19xx)(Imagineer), 8(24.12.2023):

9.:
Populous Promised Lands(ADD-on), Extra Lands And Units, 9 Base-Changed, Edition\Map: Wild West, Season Summer\LEGO, Units: Cowboys And Indians, 9, From Additional(ADD-on) Floppy Disk Populous Promised Land (19xx)(Imagineer), 9(24.12.2023):

10.:
Populous Promised Lands(ADD-on), Extra Lands And Units, 10 Base-Changed, Edition\Map: The Bit Plains, Season Summer\The World Of Computers\The Worldwide Stationery Publication, Units: Green Viruses\Green Slime, 10, From Additional(ADD-on) Floppy Disk Populous Promised Land (19xx)(Imagineer), 10(24.12.2023):

Hope this will be helpful...
Chose your best and have fun! :)
Tester

Sugo77

Lol!
Edition\Map: Wild West, Units: Cowboys And Indians:
Cowboys

And Indians

This fun, and again me happy!
Thanks for this forum and to users here!
You are best!...
Tester

Sugo77

incrediblehark, man!
You are can grrats me with my next victory at hard task-target-mission!
This not complete on ideal, not on 100% working, but on 90% now yes!(Main what this run now!...)
Thsi is was last game, which i can't was run in old times on our days!
But!...
After getted all skill, after previous our collaboration works at Sharp X68000 and sowtware of this, and plus after reading many information and on this forum also about Sharp X68000 i gotted a lot skills enough for try solve problems and just by myself!... heh, i so happy... :)
In previous time i even can't run this game on Floppy Disk and even not was think "what the fak?!", "why this not run even on Floppy Disk?!", i was thinked this game or broken or some... And aslo this not was run and on HDD...
Now i get run this game and on HDD and from Floppy!...

Step by step, file by file+using experience which got in our colobaration work, first what i was to do and first what i understand...:
Btw, i speak about shet(Not want use bad wors on emotions, and will be change\replace this words on my! :) ) Japanese Game for Adults 18+. Yes, i know, what Jpanese Developers love sometime doing content for Adults even in Video-Games, and they sometimes crazy at this, i think you aree too know about it... But, this not matter, becasuse for me not interesting this in adult age+i was think this cool game about Sailor Moon... In internet i found only 1 picture with this game and ofcourse no videos for known reasons...
https://wowroms-photos.com/emulators-roms-logo/47/61649/420-420/Sailor+Moon+Shibaigoya+(19xx)(Big+Parfait)-image.jpg
Before i was thinked, this fakin strategy game just with pictures from sailor Moon(I was love this anime in old times and video-games fighting and beat'um ap all series), so and found and dl this game... I about game:

Sailor Moon Shibaigoya (19xx)(Big Parfait)

This game not runned even from Floppy Disks, in old time i was think this broken, but when i began communication on this forum with you are all, i understand what sometimes games can be protected... Also i think this protecting and for adult games 18+(Plus i was saw this and another games, which was protected from copies,a nd also games  with category adult 18+), well, and now to main...
On our days, i saw what this game have some nude pictures, when checked by use Disk Explorer and Exported files to my PC, but i saw this and in LHES on your HDD Image(And on popular HDD with LHES from others authors) when puted this game for exatract some files...
Aha!
Now to main, on Floppy Disk with this game, i saw some hidden files and files in archives .lzh, i was remember how can extract files by arichves in LHES, i puted this game to your disk and extracted from archives, but anyway this game not was work, this game use BASIC.
Also, from spended addtional 1-2 days, i found how in DOS, we are can make hidden files to visible and readable:
By this great post by user Magic Knight:
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3911.0
And by this from user eidis:
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5326.0
So, what next?
I just unhide all files on this fakin Floppy Funny Disk, and make all readable!
So, what next? I just copy all files to my HDD Image, after copied on your HDD Image, extracted from LZH, again puted on my HDD Image. In SX-Window i copied all fiels from my HDD Image to thiss Bull Shet Floppy Disk, with this Bull Shet Game for Adults, but forgot to said, first i remove all from this Floppy Disk!
And then got new problem on this Floppy, with Size!
But, anyway, i just was copy file by file, step by step, and main files i think understand what was need for run this game...
And whoah! This s run now and on Floppy Disk(On 90% working, because 90% files on it from this game), and maybe full working on HDD, but also not sure, i just all was do by random methods...
And now to main...
I do not care abbout what this nude faking bull shet game for adults 18+, main was understand, how we are ca run hard to run game with protercts!
And i got this and solved just by myself on this time!
Heh...

P.S.:
Ofcourse i not will be posting to here content for adults(18+) foe understandable reasons...
Just some fun pictures from game, and for understand, what possible run even hard-protected games... This cool senses, when you are can solve something hard, especially for beginners... :)

Also solved(Not on 100%, but on 90+ %, i sure!...)
+1 to Experience and to next Level of knowledge about Sharp X68000!
Heh :)

incrediblehark, i even not was to want asks about help from you with run this, because this really garbage shet game for adults... But, was interesting to solve and founds ways and methods how can run this...
And after spended some time, founds some lucky ways to solve by getted expirence and knowdgess in previous hards...
Tester

Sugo77

Just this pictures from this garbage, lol
This need run from ADV.BAS(Other files with extensions .bas better not open by two reasons: 1.Spoilers, 2.: Shock Contents only for Adults 18+) - I think this means - "Adventure by use Basic commands or commands in basic, but this game only text and pictures, like visuall novell, nothing more... Just only for favorites of this genere or this anime, or just for adults or pervents, i not sure, lol ahahaha
All in one or some-one of this... Not matter, matter what possible to run even if hard to run something if try hard...
And now as spended time, what we are already sucesfully runned - hard to run for Sharp X68000:
1.: Bishoujo Senshi Super Moon Fighter X (1995)(Sprite)
2.: Megalomania (1993)(Imagineer)
3.: Populous Promised Land (19xx)(Imagineer)
4.: Sailor Moon Shibaigoya (19xx)(Big Parfait)

Also was hard to run this, but also solved:
5.:
Super Street Bomber X (19xx)(Dragon Studio)[Req Install]

P.S.:
In other words, Hard - gives experience!

P.S.2.0.:
I traslated and readed text on Japanese Language in file Readme.doc by developer of Sailor Moon Shibaigoya (19xx)(Big Parfait), there is big history of his life and also hard to programmed this game in old times, heh... Interesting was to read...
Tester