Rusty OST now on vinyl!!

Started by Segasonicfan, February 26, 2023, 06:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segasonicfan

Just spreading the news, in case you havent heard :)

https://www.veryokvinyl.com/products/rusty-original-soundtrack

I just got my copy and its JAMMIN!! Sounds so good.  500 are being pressed and Ship to Shore has it in the states, but I paid a little more for the splatter variant from Canada :)

Ill post a video I made of it here later!  What a cool super random gem to have on vinyl
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

kendrick

I want to extend you the benefit of the doubt here, because if anybody else had posted this text I'd delete it as an unwanted advertisement. Rusty, in this context, is a PC-98 game, right?

I'm not sure if the venn diagram that includes people who buy music on vinyl records and people who collect PC-98 games has a lot of crossover. So for purposes of discussion here, I guess the question to ask is how many people wanted this or intend to buy it at all. I'm glad it exists and I'm not going to steer anybody towards it or away from it, but given the purpose of the forum all I can do is marvel at the optimism of a business plan that assumes scarcity will lead to collectible value.

Segasonicfan

Quote from: kendrick on February 26, 2023, 11:28:08 PMI want to extend you the benefit of the doubt here, because if anybody else had posted this text I'd delete it as an unwanted advertisement. Rusty, in this context, is a PC-98 game, right?

I'm not sure if the venn diagram that includes people who buy music on vinyl records and people who collect PC-98 games has a lot of crossover. So for purposes of discussion here, I guess the question to ask is how many people wanted this or intend to buy it at all. I'm glad it exists and I'm not going to steer anybody towards it or away from it, but given the purpose of the forum all I can do is marvel at the optimism of a business plan that assumes scarcity will lead to collectible value.

Rusty is one of the most popular PC-98 games.  Also, I have no affiliation with the seller, I was just sharing some gaming news excitement.

And theres a ton of crossover between retro gaming and vinyl.  Thats why sites and companies like Data Discs, Ship to Shore, BlipBlop, etc. exist.  Its huge right now, and lots of retro gaming enthusiasts are excited for it.

kendrick

Quote from: Segasonicfan on February 28, 2023, 01:03:49 PMAnd theres a ton of crossover between retro gaming and vinyl.  Thats why sites and companies like Data Discs, Ship to Shore, BlipBlop, etc. exist.  Its huge right now, and lots of retro gaming enthusiasts are excited for it.

I would debate you on this point, because a print run of 500 for the record hardly seems like "lots". Again, I'm not going to be critical of it or steer anybody away, but I'm also going to be strict in the future about whether this sort of information is on-topic. We're very much about preservation and modification in service of playing games here, and ancillary product will generally fall outside of that remit.

Segasonicfan

Quote from: kendrick on February 28, 2023, 08:14:03 PM
Quote from: Segasonicfan on February 28, 2023, 01:03:49 PMAnd theres a ton of crossover between retro gaming and vinyl.  Thats why sites and companies like Data Discs, Ship to Shore, BlipBlop, etc. exist.  Its huge right now, and lots of retro gaming enthusiasts are excited for it.

I would debate you on this point, because a print run of 500 for the record hardly seems like "lots". Again, I'm not going to be critical of it or steer anybody away, but I'm also going to be strict in the future about whether this sort of information is on-topic. We're very much about preservation and modification in service of playing games here, and ancillary product will generally fall outside of that remit.

I said "lots" in reference to the many sites that sell retro gaming LPs (which I named).  Obviously, Rusty is much more obscure, so 500 pressings is a limited press for that one.

I was just sharing some gaming excitement.  This forum has very few posts and very little traffic.  Sharing a OST release for a PC-98 game seems well within topic and hardly controversial.  How strict is "PC-98" as a forum going to be? What counts as an "ancillary product"?

kendrick

So you asked what constitutes an ancillary product, and I think that's a question worth exploring. If you consider the metaphor of a forum for car repair, there's going to be specific subject matter discussion and knowledge sharing going on there. People who drive specific and obscure models of car are going to need information and parts that help them get those particular vehicles going, and they will necessarily be enthusiasts and experts.

Now. Let's say one of the other enthusiast organizations makes a calendar with crisp and delightful photographs of the car model in question. It's great, but it also doesn't do anything to help people keep their cars running, which is the whole point of the forum. In this theoretical car repair space, would news of the calendar go in a section for engine mods, or electrical troubleshooting, or paint and detailing, or upholstery and interiors? If the forum isn't for general enthusiast information, and is specifically *not* for generating sales of things that aren't car components, isn't the lovely calendar still off topic?

The problem I have with 'Here's a soundtrack that just got printed!' is that the statement implicitly is followed up with the unspoken question 'Don't you want to go and buy it?' and that just isn't in the spirit of what we're trying to do here. With the disclaimer that this is NFG's forum and that he's free to expand the scope of the place as he sees fit, my current understanding is that GamesX is not a place for that type of promotion. It doesn't fit with all the other discussion of modifying hardware and doing other activities that support the end goal of being able to play a game.

Again, I'm not saying you did anything wrong and I'm not telling anybody what to buy or not to buy. But this particular PC-98-related information, nice as is it, doesn't really belong here in my view.

NFG

I think it's within bounds, because the scene needs enthusiasm, forums need excited participants.

Kendrick is the best mod money can buy, and he's operated for the longest time with very few official rules, interpreting my opinions through what I assume are a combination of tea leaves and rolled bones shaped like poor approximations of dice.

Preservation of the scene doesn't end with the hardware, and forum moderation will forever be a tricky thing.  Officially, as of now, this sort of tangential stuff is allowed, but how we handle that within the forum is open for discussion.  A new forum, sub-forum, a long thread?  Or as-it-is?

Long live the PC-98, and tireless mods.  <3

kendrick

Thanks for weighing in. Given that this part of the forum in particular seems to get a new topic about once a month, I'm not sure that it's in our best interest to break out a separate sub-forum underneath. However, planning for the future means that we need to be aware of the possibility that mod/repair talk could get drowned out by collectible or tie-in product talk.

My suggestion here is that we flag messages that are not explicitly tied to modifications or repair. How we might do that isn't my call, but a prefix in the subject header is the normal way. If we have the option to add little icons that permit actual sorting or filtering, that would be ideal. That way if PC-98 content does grow or attract more activity, we can easily sort that out into separate forums at a later date as needed.