Games with known software bugs for FM Towns

Started by Cyothevile, December 22, 2022, 03:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyothevile

Kyuuyoku Tiger - has a bug and requires a different version of TownsOS to load on most machines. A good workaround is to load a TownsOS CD and then switch to Kyuuyoku Tiger

Uncharted Waters - Captainys documented the bugs very well on his webpage.  He did a lot of hard work explaining them.  http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/FM/towns/Daikoukai1/e.html

Dungeon Master - So fun fact is that Dungeon Master has copy protection and is the only CD-based Towns game with protection. In addition to checking for CD presence, it also checks the number of audio tracks on CD. Anyway, the bug is reported by Captainys where from an English executable there is a specific wall where if you stare at it the game crashes.  However, the game is beatable if you just avoid the wall. This is also documented by Captainys. 

Brandish - Requires 386DX processor. It will not work on a 486 system. This includes a tower upgraded with 486DLC or a Marty upgraded with a 486SX..  The game appears hard-coded for 386 CPU delays and the graphics are garbled and unplayable.

Operation Wolf - Pad to mouse emulation on Marty as I recall messes up moving the crosshairs across the screen.

There was a dungeon crawler that totally breaks when you add more than 8MB of RAM into a Towns and I can't quite recall the name. I would like to add it to this list if someone can remind me which game it is.

Jehuty

I got a problem with F29 Retaliator. The game won´t load after the demo. But not anytime. If i start shadow of the beast before the game loads. Meanwhile i got the game on yahoo with the bootdisk which has executables to run every time. Seems to work.

Mad Stalker doesn´t run with more than 6mb ram, testet on cx20. The game starts but freezes on first time you push in any direction.

SuperDeadite

Shadow of the Beast 1 and 2 are very picky on the amount of RAM installed. For me, 1 will work on 10mbs or less. 2 only seems to work correctly on 2mbs.

Cyothevile

Quote from: SuperDeadite on December 22, 2022, 01:58:42 PMShadow of the Beast 1 and 2 are very picky on the amount of RAM installed. For me, 1 will work on 10mbs or less. 2 only seems to work correctly on 2mbs.

I was thinking Shadow of the Beast 2 might break when exceeding 8MB but I see I was mistaken.

MAZter

Quote from: Jehuty on December 22, 2022, 04:11:27 AMMad Stalker doesn´t run with more than 6mb ram, testet on cx20. The game starts but freezes on first time you push in any direction.
Mad Stalker run properly only if mouse disconnected before run the game. Tested on Marty 2.

PepAlacant

Quote from: SuperDeadite on December 22, 2022, 01:58:42 PMShadow of the Beast 1 and 2 are very picky on the amount of RAM installed. For me, 1 will work on 10mbs or less. 2 only seems to work correctly on 2mbs.

Shadow of the Beast 2 will work with 6MB, if more memory is installed, It'll boot to black screen.

PepAlacant

Quote from: MAZter on December 26, 2022, 08:22:33 AM
Quote from: Jehuty on December 22, 2022, 04:11:27 AMMad Stalker doesn´t run with more than 6mb ram, testet on cx20. The game starts but freezes on first time you push in any direction.
Mad Stalker run properly only if mouse disconnected before run the game. Tested on Marty 2.

Same problem with Muscle Bomber. If mouse is connected to port 2, It will press 2P start all the time.

PepAlacant

FM sound when using original disk of New Zealand Story on an FM-T Marty will give a completely messed music.