X68000 XVI RAM Expansion Problem

Started by cawley1, March 20, 2022, 04:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cawley1

Hi all,
I haven't used my X68000 XVI in a while (say, last 3-6 months). I came to power it on today as I wanted to play some music while sorting some stuff out in my game cave and it would not load the batch file for the music player.

I worked out pretty quickly it was RAM related - For some reason, the XSIMMVI memory expansion I have installed is no longer working/recognised - never had any issues before, but checking the file selector screen on the SD card image and all I can see is the standard amount of RAM free, nothing extra.

Confirmed this as it runs 'small' games fine - Afterburner, Arkanoid - but the bigger games also fail to boot with a memory error.

I have opened it up and re-seated both the card and the SIMM on it, but no joy. I did notice the time and date were also wrong, this too has not been an issue before... Is it simply the battery has died, and I need to go into a setting and tell the system I have more memory, and if so, how do I do that again???

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

watto

Sounds like you need to run SWITCH.X and set the memory again.  Is the battery rechargable or one of those coin cells?  If the latter will need replacing, former you'll want to run the system for a while to charge it up.