FIXED: X68000 Won't Boot Past Error Screen

Started by Neo-Alec, September 27, 2021, 04:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo-Alec

Hello. My X68000 won't boot past this error screen. The advice from the page hasn't helped so far:
https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:sram_issues

I've replaced the SRAM battery. The disk drives won't boot any bootable disks. After a hard power up, the drives make one tick, and then stop. Both drives have power, are able to eject. Holding Opt 1 or CLR at boot both don't do anything. And I can't do the more involved SRAM reset instructions because my disk drives aren't doing anything.

It's a black tower that says "Personal Workstation Ace" on the front top-left.

Retrotink 5X Screenshot 2021-09-27 00-24-06.png

Cyothevile

Very first thing I'm going to point out about ACE model is that SRAM battery location is in extremely bad place and it destroys/corrodes traces. Did you check this specifically first?

Neo-Alec

Thanks, I can check it. I did remove the old battery several years ago, before it leaked. I still have the original battery in a bag, and it isn't leaking.

However, you seem to be right. I did find damage there. Working on patching now...

Cyothevile

Quote from: Neo-Alec on September 28, 2021, 02:49:49 AMThanks, I can check it. I did remove the old battery several years ago, before it leaked. I still have the original battery in a bag, and it isn't leaking.

However, you seem to be right. I did find damage there. Working on patching now...

I dont own an ACE but I've seen some photos.

Trace rework can be very tedious and time consuming. If you get frustrated or must take a break go ahead.

I bet once trace fixed your issue is fixed though. That is something to look forward to!

Neo-Alec

Sorry, forgot to update. There were two broken solder points. I patched them with wires, and now the system is working for the first time in nearly a decade! Sorry, I guess I just needed help getting motivated to get serious about checking! Thanks.