Unlocking remaining floppy titles

Started by Cyothevile, January 05, 2021, 02:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyothevile

To preserve this PC it is best to have two dumps of the diskettes.. A flux level stream such as a Pauline or Kryoflux and a writable to diskette, playable unlocked title. I will try to keep unlocking titles as I work on my remaining towns but I'm not an assembly or low level wizard. My hardware focus is on an alternative power supply for the tower and desktop models that isn't a simple "wire up an ATX with second switch" solution. However the floppy disk situation has me a bit alarmed.

The following titles require unlocking. If anybody with C or assembly knowledge would like to work with me please message me or comment below. I can share my tool chain and process to help you get started.

Columns ***done***
Cameltry  ***done****
Asuka 120% Burning Fest - ****done****
Brandish  - purchased. Garbled graphics on 486 during introduction but otherwise totally playable.
Dinosaur  - neo Kobe copy is cracked already. So done.
Dragon slayer 1
Dragon slayer 2 - recently purchased and has heavy protection. I believe neo Kobe copy is cracked though?
Maririn DX - requires townsOS as there is no IO.SYS, TBIOS, run386.exe or any other autoboot/kernel software. Disassembly show ITM file lead to EXP file with no other executable or COM file.
Harukanaru agustina
Lord monarch - I purchased and dumped this. Has overlapping sectors on side 0 and side 1 track 3

The Falcom titles have nasty protection in them. Specifically the protection measures don't kick in until later in gameplay to my knowledge. The protection instructions in Dinosaur and Brandish specifically are on-going throughout gameplay. Nasty stuff.

I have also heard rumors of a few boot diskettes having protection which sounds silly to have in the 80s-90s. As I make my Wizard ODE SD card image I will likely uncover more titles that need to be unlocked.

Cyothevile

Cameltry Unlocked

I might look at Asuka Next

Cyothevile

I have purchase Brandish and performed flux dump. It appears that during introduction screen HR100 has garbled graphics but on a 386 towns the authentic diskettes dont show distortion. Otherwise everything else looks playable

I believe it performs same sector check as cameltry. The loading screen for cameltry had the routine perform where if additional sector is found it performed JMP to infinite loop black screen. I believe brandish performs same thing and if so it will become trivial to unlock. Generally the Falcom titles are a fortress of protection.