Using a SCSI2SD hard drive for FMT - all models!

Started by Cyothevile, December 10, 2020, 12:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyothevile

So I hope to spice a few things up with my experiments.

As you all know batteries must be changed for SRAM to save hard drive settings.

I recently purchased an external hard drive enclosure and of course the hard drive was dead. I took the enclosure apart and noticed there is no special circuitry or interface board just a power supply for the hard drive.
The SCSI hard drive plugs directly into the SCSI 50 pin port of an FMT. Direct wiring from the SCSI drive to the computer. So I placed a SCSI2SD in place of the dead hard drive with a hard drive image and it worked on my CX20! This was yesterday.

Tonight I just tried it on UX20 and it worked also! Very good news.

All that is necessary is getting a SCSI 50 cable and cutting off one end of the cable so cut one of the SCSI50 heads off. Then wiring an IDC 50 female header to the wires with correct wiring according to the SCSI50 port. The pinout for the SCSI port is available in the 900 page programming manual for FMT on archive.org. It's all Japanese but the pinout is readable for english speaker.

My settings on SCSI2SD I just set it as SCSI0 device with 2GB of space. Then the partitions in SRAM for the FMT are set as SCSI drive 0 to match the hard drive emulator. I hope this is attractive option for everyone as this doesn't require disassembly of the computer as it's plugged into the back of the PC and runs very well!

I have considered making PCB to basically convert the SCSI50 into IDC50 so all you would require is an IDC50 cable to hook up to a SCSI2SD. However I'm still looking at gotek PCB and alternative PSU as my priority. Let me know your thoughts.

Edit: PCB not necessary just use cable

Cyothevile

Upon searching I believe this cable is correct.

12" CN50 50-Pin Male to IDC50 50-Pin Female Ribbon Cable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291993307756

Jehuty

Yes this Cable works while i use such an cable.
But i used an old internal scsi cable and attached an Centronics 50 Pin connector.
I use an prepared 128mb image with TownsOS 2 and managed to install the English Towns OS V1 on a second partition.
Fine is that the scsi2sd is powered over the scsi cable.

good that the FM Towns uses normal centronics 50 Pin connector.