Ys 1 & 2 re-release

Started by parodius, November 26, 2020, 11:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parodius

Got sent this Tweeter post yesterday :
https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/1331177682147581954?s=12

Apparently Nihon Falcom & Beep! are re-releasing Ys 1&2 on X68k in march next year.
https://www.falcom.co.jp/ir-data/20201124

Pretty neat.
Even though the price of the re-release is going to be higher than what the original release goes for on Yahoo Japan Auctions, IIRC.

SuperDeadite

Actually this isn't a re-release.  Ys II was never officially released on X68K.  Ys I was remade by Dempa, and III was made by Falcom, but II never made it.

Years later a fan who didn't like Dempa's take on ysI did a doujin port of both I and II that was meant to be as close to the original pc88 versions as possible, but completely unauthorized release.

Will be interesting to see if these are actually new versions, or if they decided to legalize the old doujins.  Personally, other than the completely fugly character art, I quite liked the Dempa version.  Would have been nice to see a similar remake of II.

Actually now that I think of it, the doujin versions tried to be 1:1 with the 88 versions, including only running in medium resolution (24khz).  That'd be kind of hilarious if they kept that trait for this new release.

hyrulebr

If they release with an English option...

A man can dream!

parodius

Quote from: SuperDeadite on November 27, 2020, 02:43:07 AMActually this isn't a re-release.  Ys II was never officially released on X68K.  Ys I was remade by Dempa, and III was made by Falcom, but II never made it.
Ah yes, somehow I thought of the Ys 1&2 release on PCE CD, but of course on the X68k it was only Ys 1.

megatron-uk

Anyone seen any video of the new release yet? From what I can make out it looks to be almost a direct port of the PC88 version, which is kinda disappointing.

SuperDeadite

I should get mine on Thursday.  Beep announced from the start it was a port of the original 88SR version, but with totally smooth scroll.  It also supports Mercury Unit Mk4, but I don't have one myself.

This was never meant to be a remake, just fill in a hole for the fans.  X68000 had the Dempa remake of Ys1 and everyone hated it. 

I would assume they added high-reso support (probably just a border though.)  The old illegal doujin ports if 1 and 2 only ran in 24khz.  I do hope they kept the 24khz option for freaks like me though.

SuperDeadite

Not had time to play yet, but gorgeous release.

SuperDeadite

Cyothevile

Thank you for showing us. I'll likely grab it from BEEP soon

SuperDeadite

Got my copy of the Falcom Early Collection in, and by accident discovered that pushing COPY key will switch to 24khz.  So went back to Ys 1 and it works the same.  None of the documentation for any of these games mentions this at all.  But it works.  :) 

Cyothevile

Quote from: SuperDeadite on February 28, 2022, 09:03:18 PMGot my copy of the Falcom Early Collection in, and by accident discovered that pushing COPY key will switch to 24khz.  So went back to Ys 1 and it works the same.  None of the documentation for any of these games mentions this at all.  But it works.  :) 

When do you press copy? Just anytime?

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Cyothevile on March 01, 2022, 09:59:31 AM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on February 28, 2022, 09:03:18 PMGot my copy of the Falcom Early Collection in, and by accident discovered that pushing COPY key will switch to 24khz.  So went back to Ys 1 and it works the same.  None of the documentation for any of these games mentions this at all.  But it works.  :) 

When do you press copy? Just anytime?

Any time.  Title screen, in game, whenever.  This works for Ys1 and all 3 of the games in FEC.

For Ys2 you can push F6, which gives you a menu for 31/24, game speed, and OPM or OPN (Mercury Unit).  Ys 2 also has Easy Mode, F3 anytime in game.  And F5 for music mode in Ys1 and 2.

In Ys 1 Roll Up and Roll Down adjust game speed.  No idea how you switch to OPN as I don't have a Mercury Unit myself and there doesn't seem to be a menu like Ys 2.

incrediblehark

Nice find! I just ordered this and Falcom Early collection, didn't realize they were doing a release and Asteka is one of my favorite Falcom games on NES so looking forward to playing these.