News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Nes Fan/Led Mod

Started by LegionaireXX, June 15, 2004, 02:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LegionaireXX

Im trying to mod my nes adding fans to it an 80mm to the back and a 120mm to the top anyone know if this is possible im pretty sure ill need a seperate power supply for it  but im not sure.  Also im changing the red led to a blue one!  The only real reason im doing this is causei m changing my 72 pin connector neway so i thot i might as well mod it.  The 120s gonna be tough so if i cant do it i might just go with the 80.

LegionaireXX

Some umm like rough schematics i need to make the measurements.

EDIT: 80mm = 60mm

LegionaireXX

Scratch the 80mm and the 120mm i realized it wont work after i did some measurements the 80 will instead be a 60, and the 120 will not be there
instead i will line the top heat grating with 3, 40mm exhausts which should fit perfectly if my measurements are correct, i also now want to add 2-3 40mm intakes to the left side of the case im gonan have to find a way to power all these i know i need some advice please.

NFG

The proper question should be "Why?"  The NES isn't a high-speed monster, it's an antique, the cooling fan is superfluous to the point of absurdity.

LegionaireXX

i know :P but i have alot of free time and nothing to mod so i though hey lets try this

Cube

I'm modifying my NES to have hookers and blackjack.
wait, screw the NES.

Lesmot

I modded my NES. It is now a Sega Genesis. I modded my Sega Genesis, it is now a Playstation 2. My PS2 is now a NES, which contains hookers, but no blackjack.  Every system I own is made of fans, blue LEDs and poor paint jobs. Thank you.  
Hey there, fancy pants!

jimmy 2/4

forget fans man check out this

LegionaireXX

yea ive seen that b4 see the thing is ive already modded my genesis into  dvd player so ya know

LegionaireXX

QuoteI modded my NES. It is now a Sega Genesis. I modded my Sega Genesis, it is now a Playstation 2. My PS2 is now a NES, which contains hookers, but no blackjack.  Every system I own is made of fans, blue LEDs and poor paint jobs. Thank you.
haha yes  

jimmy 2/4

cool i oughta try that out :)  

Carlos

I'd love to see a NES with a fan.  My goal is mod my NES so it out puts optical and s-video.  Nothing extremely complex, but buying a simply adaptor that converts composite inputs into s-video and optical.  They sell it at Radioshack for $25.  It a little bulky, but very lite.  Might be pointless, but won't it be cool to show off an NES with an optical output?  Perhaps it would be easier just to make a way to have the AV output on the rear and not on the side.

Carlos

On the topic of the fans, how about putting a fan that sits on the outside like those on DVD recorders.  The only problem is how to power it any other internal components.

Vertigo

QuoteMight be pointless, but won't it be cool to show off an NES with an optical output?
Why? All you will get is composite quality output no matter what you're converting it to as that's the best the NES can natively do without the arcade board PPU mod.

Carlos

Well just because.  Who needs to build a PC inside an NES.  You could spend $800+ on the individual components and get something that cost twice as much and twice as slow as a regular PC.

jimmy 2/4

thats not true I got a pentium 4 kick but comp in my NES...just because its in a crappy case dosen't mean it's got to be crappy.

Vertigo

Building a PC inside a NES serves a purpose that it's miniaturised, fairly innocuous and you can keep it under the TV for watching movies or browsing the internet from your couch should you choose to.
Putting output for a higher quality than composite on a NES is entirely pointless as composite is the best the machine can do, so "to show my mates so they'll think it's cool" is a bit of a non-reason because they'll still just be looking at low-quality composite video, no matter how expensive the parts you use to attach it to your tv, hence I think it's a waste of time and money.
Thanks for asking.

benzaldehyde

While it is possible to get real S-video out of a NES, you would have to replace the graphics processor with an arcade model and then add a chroma encoder. All that you are planning to do is as Vertigo said; plug the composite video into a TV with a different shaped connector. If you want to do it, then do it right. ;)

As for optical output, there is no place on the NES that generates a useable digital  audio signal. In fact, the poor thing only outputs one composite mono channel (from five components <correct me if I'm wrong>.) Sorry, but that just sounds impossible.

You can easily move the AV connectors to the rear by getting some mountable RCA plugs from Radio Shack and bridging the signals from under the RF encoder. You could also pick the video signal from the graphics chip and the audio from the main processor if you wanted.

Carlos

I knew that it wouldn't improve any performance, and I know that the NES does not output any digital sound, but I read a mod that allowed you to mix the channels and create a psuedo-stereo and increase the bass level.  I know that there is no way to play stereo games, but it would be cool to increase the bass and get a little variation in the sound.  I was thinking of stripping the convertor that they sell at Radioshack and have it convert the audio to optical.  It converts any audio sound into PCM output.

Is the PPU from the arcade machine as small as the NES PPU?

I know that people mod their system to get RGB or S-video to get better performance, but at the same time what do you improve if you paint your NES gold or change its LED to a blue one?  Come on guys, don't over analysis the reason  :P

After all I bet that at least half of the people in the forum have modded their system, taken a challenge, etc... just for the hell of it!  So if you ask why, then because "just for the hell of it!"

benzaldehyde

Yeah, I've heard that mod is great. You can actually get great bass response from it (well, from what I've heard). You don't really need digital output to get the benefits of the mod, though if it's your cup of tea... :)

The PlayChoice arcade PPU is exactly like the NES PPU but it outputs RGB on three normally grounded pins and swaps C sync for C video output. I've found it to be very finicky, though. It seems to work clearly when a cart is snuggly in place, moreso than I can get on my old NES model. Top-loader mods, I've heard, work well. I'm just going to mod mine to accept cartridges as a top loader. Heck, it'll do the job. :lol:

We are all about mods, though we often bend more toward the technical types. No one's saying you shouldn't do it (excpet Vertigo :lol: ); it's just we're not too sure about the effects it may have. ;) And there's nothing wrong with blue LEDs; my old NES has one, and I find it to be the only thing Sony did right in designing the PS2. :lol:

NFG

I need a couple of playchoice PPUs, anyone got spares?  I've got lots of goodies to trade.  =)

SImpfan45

You know you could always mod your NES for sterio I did it to mine and it works great. You have to take the seperate audio channels and tweek them to produce bass and treble. Its fairly simple. But yah modding your system for the hell of it is an awesome Idea go for it dude.