X68000 Basics, need a little help

Started by e, September 16, 2020, 03:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e

Hi. I recently found out about the X68000, and downloaded an emulator (and a couple ROM files) for it. Seems interesting so far, but I just need a little help.

Not sure how I would get the emulator to recognize the SCSI hard disk image I created so I can install Human68K on that.

Also I frequently get an error about Human.sys or something like that when I try to load utility software, not sure what I'm supposed to do,

and I can't seem to change the model to anything other than the EXPERT model.

I'll bring up more things as they come.

Thanks!

watto

What emulator are you using?

The Expert would have a SASI interface, so you'll need to load the Master disk, install the SxSI driver into SRAM as you would on real hardware.

Human.sys error would indicate an issue on the boot block of the floppy image you're trying to boot off as far as I know.

I'd use one of the pre-baked hard disk images, should be some posts in the X68000 hardware forum.  I use the XM6 Pro emulator, you can just add it as a SCSI drive and boot straight off it.  No reason to emulate a pre SCSI model unless you're testing something for real hardware.

e

Quote from: watto on September 20, 2020, 03:54:18 PMWhat emulator are you using?

The Expert would have a SASI interface, so you'll need to load the Master disk, install the SxSI driver into SRAM as you would on real hardware.

Human.sys error would indicate an issue on the boot block of the floppy image you're trying to boot off as far as I know.

I'd use one of the pre-baked hard disk images, should be some posts in the X68000 hardware forum.  I use the XM6 Pro emulator, you can just add it as a SCSI drive and boot straight off it.  No reason to emulate a pre SCSI model unless you're testing something for real hardware.

I use XM6 Pro as well. And thanks for the insight. I'll update you when I find more errors.

megatron-uk

Actually, I'm fairly sure you don't need to go through the SxSI install procedure in XM6G using the default Expert model.

I've configured the SCSI tab, not the SASI or SxSI tabs, and have two scsi disk images attached. You just need to make sure you have added either scsiexrom.dat or scsiinrom.dat to the directory where xm6(g).exe is located (and choose either 'internal' or 'external' on the SCSI tab... and not 'none'). This makes the Expert behave as if you have a SCSI card installed in an IO slot, so once you set the scsi drive to boot using switch, it works as if it is a native SCSI model.