News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

UX20 Capacitor list

Started by Cyothevile, September 13, 2020, 10:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyothevile

Hi friends.

I'm newer to FM TOWNS and I'm restoring my beautiful UX20.  After disassembling the computer it was extremely clean on the inside with capacitors specifically with markers written on them.  However, I don't know the unit's history so I'm going to be performing maintenance on the unit.  I have totally disassembled the computer and took note of the capacitors on each circuit board EXCEPT the disc drive as I'm waiting for Deunan's solution to come to fruition.

All capacitors are listed for the CRT assemblies, power supply, both computer boards and both floppies.  If someone really needs the disc drive cap list I can still open my disc drive.  My unit is still taken apart pending parts :)

kamiboy

Did you see any signs of any capacitor needing to be exchanged?

Mine has for the longest time had a temperamental screen that sometimes turns on and other times does not. I suspect the problem might be some sort of cold solder joint. But I do fear it might be capacitors needing to be changed, and I am not too keen on taking that beast apart and doing a full recap.

Cyothevile

It took me 3 hours to safely disassemble the UX20 and I plan on NOT doing that again unless Deunans ODE will require it. It still remains disassembled. Hopefully by the time I reassemble it I will have my floppy to gotek PCB completed.

I sent this list to Luke at console5 and he has kindly accepted making a cap kit for the entire computer. He did ask for more detailed photos for the CRT boards and PSU as he brought up some capacitors in CRT boards and the PSU need specific characteristics such as higher temperature tolerance etc. This is the first time I've ever worked on a CRT. Don't worry I removed the anode cap safely :)

This UX20 is in immaculate condition with no bulging and Zero dust inside. Some of the caps have markers on top of them. I concluded at some point in this computers life that it could have serviced once but I don't this for sure. If certain caps require specific traits I will update the spreadsheet accordingly.

I would advise servicing it when you can. Do you by chance use a hard drive with it? I know the DB25 connector doesnt output 5V which leads me to believe the 50 pin SCSI port is where I need to focus on if I want to use a hard drive

kamiboy

No, I've never played around with HDD on any of my Towns machines. I haven't really seen the utility of having a HDD on this computer platform as you cannot use it to have a collection of installed games ready to play like the X68000 or PC98.

Cyothevile

Yes I know. A few titles go to hard drive I think. Not all ofc.

Deunan confirmed he used a 5.1 with db25 connector soldered and didn't require external power. So I will try that after I recap entire unit :)