Windows Disk Explorer to extract the files for dump... (wording <VOL>?)

Started by motorola73, June 30, 2020, 09:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorola73

Hello. I had trouble copying R-TYPE from PC to Sharp x68k 5.25 floppy.
Although I regularly format the floppy in human x68k format, it asks for the human.sys file at startup, even if the file exists regularly on the floppy.
Before copying it, when I extract the files from the R-Type (1989)(Irem)[a2].XDF file, in the list of Disk Explorer of Windows 10 there is a file named R-TYPE_ of zero bytes with attribute <VOL> (besides the .x or .sys files etc.) . This file does not extract it! I think the game, once copied to the x68k floppy, does not start due to this file.
The same goes for "Thunder Blade Sega".
What attribute is "<VOL>"?

kamiboy

I believe VOL represents the name (volume) of the disk.

SuperDeadite

Disk Explorer is rather buggy with x68k stuff and file corruption is quite common.  Compare the file sizes on the floppy with what you extracted, if they are not exactly the same size the file has corrupted.

motorola73

Kamiboy: Thank you. The R_TYPE_ file marks it as 0 bytes and does not extract it completely. So it's like you say, <vol> is the volume (title) of the disc.

Superdeadite: Thank you, However the R-type.dim in the x68k emulator starts, with the physical floppy no, (it does not find the Human.sys file that actually is on the floppy). But it only happens with R-Type. Thunder blade that has a similar feature, once the files are transferred to the floppy, it starts!