News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Question about XE-1Pro

Started by dasfool, April 08, 2020, 08:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasfool

I received a XE-1Pro stick from Yahoo JP auctions which, from what I've read, should work with the x68000. Plugged in to my compact, the stick works and Trigger A works but Trigger B has weird issues. Tapping Trigger B doesn't do anything. Holding Trigger A and tapping Trigger B will actuate Trigger B and moving the switch for Trigger B to "TRIGGER AUTO HOLD" will successfully put Trigger B into auto fire, however tapping Trigger B while it's in auto fire will actuate Trigger A. I've poked around the insides to see if I can find something wrong but nothing seemed out of sorts. Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Turbolenza

Hi Dasfool!
Are you sure the XE-1 Pro is compatible with X68000?
I have the XE-1 ST2, and there is a switch to force the compatibility with X68000 Vs console.

dasfool

Yeah, from what I see on images of the original box online it says compatible with:
  • MSX
  • MSX2
  • MF77AV
  • MZ-2500
  • PC-6001
  • X1
  • X68000

Turbolenza

Are you able to try on another machine like a Master System or MegaDrive?

After launching a game, try unplugging the keyboard and see if the controller works? I actually had the same issue with an Atari Mega STE and a Quickshot joystick.

NFG

@dasfool This seems like a problem with the wiring.  There is no system multiplexing in these joysticks (like you'd find in a NES/SNES/PCE/Saturn etc etc) so it's one wire to one switch.  So if it works sometimes...  there's a problem in the wiring. 

I'd start with the autofire switches.  They should work on manual, which bypasses the autofire circuits.  If not, get out your multimeter and check the switch, trace the signals to figure out where they're shorted or whatever.

@Turbolenza - the Mega STE had the external keyboard and it had the same problem with som (especially multi-button) sticks as the Mega ST and TT-030: anything weird in the stick (for example, a resistor on a 7800 ProStick) would cause it to freak out.  A handful of my sticks did that.

mez

-does other joysticks work on your x68k ?

-i suppose you have tried with/without battery, and with switch power ON/OFF ?

dasfool

I'll tinker with the battery idea. Do you know what the purpose of the battery is?