Disabled person seeking custom controller

Started by Xanthan_Gum, June 10, 2004, 12:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanthan_Gum

Does anyone know how to build a custom gamecube controller for use by someone with almost no hand movement. i was thinking about using a pc touchpad connected to a pad of buttons by a wire. these two components would then connect to the gamecube. is this even possible? can anyone help, i love playing games and this would be the only way. thanks

NFG

Everything's possible, and there's probably a few of us here (myself included) who could help you with this.  More details would defnitely be useful, like an example of a controller that is currently usable so that we could determine what's necessary to connect the two.

fragment

yeah give as much info as possible and we can all work together to find a good solution!  :)  

Xanthan_Gum

Thanks guys. Right now I have a controller for my wheelchair that is a mini joystick that I operate flawlessly with my right hand. Also, when using the computer, I use a wacom graphire tablet as a pointing device with my right hand. So my right hand can operate these fine while propped on my armrest. My left hand is capable of pushing buttons as long as they only require a light touch as I use my universal remote. In order to do both together i would need a joystick or touchpad in my right hand and a pad of buttons to hold in my left hand such as a tv remote would. So these two components could not be on one unit as my hands need to be apart to operate them. This would be ideal, but being only imaginary at this point, i cannot be 100% certain that i could even use it although i believe i could.
    After experimenting with a regular gamecube controller, i think that if it were possible to remove all resistance from the joystick and L and R buttons, that may just be enough.

I greatly appreciate any help you can offer.
Jason

fragment

QuoteThanks guys. Right now I have a controller for my wheelchair that is a mini joystick that I operate flawlessly with my right hand. Also, when using the computer, I use a wacom graphire tablet as a pointing device with my right hand. So my right hand can operate these fine while propped on my armrest. My left hand is capable of pushing buttons as long as they only require a light touch as I use my universal remote. In order to do both together i would need a joystick or touchpad in my right hand and a pad of buttons to hold in my left hand such as a tv remote would. So these two components could not be on one unit as my hands need to be apart to operate them. This would be ideal, but being only imaginary at this point, i cannot be 100% certain that i could even use it although i believe i could.
    After experimenting with a regular gamecube controller, i think that if it were possible to remove all resistance from the joystick and L and R buttons, that may just be enough.

I greatly appreciate any help you can offer.
Jason
ok, so how big can the buttons be? Also, if we could have the Analog stick from the Gamecube seperated from the buttons on the right side, would you be able to use that?

And a question for Lawrence, don't most gamecube games use the Analog stick and not the D-pad for control? The reason I ask is if they do support the D-pad for gameplay, then we could easily put in a custom stick.  

Xanthan_Gum

The button size doesn't matter too much, but if they were small like the size of the gamecube's B button or a SNES button, that would work ok. I think that if the regular GC analog stick was separated from the buttons and elongated, then i could use it fine with my right hand.

The only way I could use a regular gc controller was if the stick was completely limp, having little or no resistance.

NFG

Xanthan: What you require is more or less dead easy to make, it's a matter of exact requirements.  I'll have a look at a GC controller and see what we'll need to replace it; it's very possible an adaptor could be made for any console using one input system.

Can you operate a spring-loaded stick if it's taller and offers more leverage?  I ask 'cause it might be very possible to use a large stick unmodified that way, and wire it up to interface with the controllers for PSX/GC/WHY.

And for buttons, how much mobility have you got?  A small panel with arcade buttons would be easy to make; there's also the option of a numeric keypad from a PC which could be rewired or, tho it might get ugly, cutting up a GC pad (or any other you like).

I'll see what I can learn about the GC analogue today, if you have other requests or can offer more info - such as mounting platform for your chair, or distance apart or base size for a desk...  It can almost certainly be done, now how do you want it?

Xanthan_Gum

The only way i could operate a joystick like that is if it was very loose. A typical arcade style joystick would be too difficult unless it was possible to loosen the spring and lessen the resistance. Again, the regular gc stick would be fine for my right hand if we elongated the stick to be an inch or so tall.

I do not have the strength or mobility to press arcade style buttons on a board. i do like your idea about a numeric keypad, though. the keys are easy enough to press and close enough together as long as the keys were mapped properly.

Since I would be using a table in front of me, it would not be necessary to mount anything to my chair. So a sensitive joystick with a steady base for my right hand connected by a 6" long wire to a numeric keypad for my left hand. If the wire is impractical, then a lapboard around the size of a medium keyboard with the stick on the far right and a keypad on the far left might work.

If you're sure this can be done, let me know what parts are necessary and the cost.