Please Help, destroyed X68000, X68000XVI and Cyberstick.

Started by Jehuty, June 03, 2019, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jehuty

Hello Guys, i need help.

I got the, in germany we say "the Super Gau" with my X68000.

I have a first model X68000 wich runs fine since one year. some weeks ago i got an cyberstick and this works fine too.

Now, last week i got the Dream machine - an X68000XVI! Like the most other X68k the PSU was blown.
Changed it to an ATX PSU and the Machine lives. It works fine for one or two days and then the Poweroff doesn´t workd anymore.

Read some info on the wiki and i switched the C264. 
But i did a mistake, cause of my old eyes i read 47µF and the old one meassured 0,5µF. So i soldered a 47µF. This fixed the softpower, for a little while. But now i know the right one should be a 0,47 µF.

So yesterday the X68000 and the XVI works fine and i wanted to compare them each other.
So i startet with Star Wars. The Intro, the Menu all fine - but as i startet the game the XVI freezes.
Since that time nothing startet. It boots into LHES (got the Aztec Monster from the old X68000), but when i start a game it freezes.
Disconnect the Aztec and tried to boot from FLoppy - but here it also freezes. Tried several games like Super hang on, Star Wars and Alien Syndrome.
So first try i recapped the Mainboard, cause there are only 3 Caps.

After that it seems to start some games and i pluged the cyberstick in. In this moment the XVI crashed.
Several time i got the "An Error occured, please reset" message.
Now i wanted to try the Cyberstick on my old X68000 - this doesn´t crash but since i plugged it the first Joyport doesn´t move to the right.
Tried an normal MSX joystick and this won´t move to the right too. The Second Joyport only moves Left an Down.

So it seems that the XVI broke my Cyberstick and the broken Cyberstick broke my X68000.

Now i have a broken XVI, a broken Stick and a broken X6800 - terrible FIRE!

After some time the XVI boots into Alien Syndrome and here the joystick worked in all directions, but the X68000 is still damaged.

Now what can i do, without throwing all out of the Window ?

Anyone a idea with that right direction ? The Speach from Alien Syndrome sounds since that a Little bit creepy.

P.S: could this be a Kind of Virus ? Tried in the meantime Blue Phoenix from the Tosec.

kamiboy

Not likely to be a virus. Likely cryptic hardware error, perhaps related to the wrong capacitor, or something else entirely. Such hardware faults are quite hopeless I am afraid. If the problem is not related to the PSU you are in the deep end.

Jehuty

Jehuty

Yesterday i powered up the XVI and it works. Boots from CF and Floppy. Could Play Super Hangon, Genocide and Star Wars.
With a normal Joystick. Until i plugged in the Cyberstick, the machine freezes suddenly, in Analog and digital mode the same.
Next Test was to power up when the Cyberstick is plugged in. The XVI boots and loads a game (Thunderblade) but when the menu should appear
it crashes and give a error.

Last try was the Cyberstick in digital mode pluged into Joy2 on the Bach. Startet Alien Syndrome and i could move the character with the cyberstick into
every direction.
So it seems that the cyberstick is ok, but why crashes the XVI when plugged into port 1 ?

Just got no time to desolder the wrong cap. But when i get some time i Thing i check the resistor Network, the 8255 and the other part on the joyport 1.

Jehuty

Some good News. I changed the wrong cap to a 0,47µF, checked the resistor Network and changed the 8255.
At last it seems that the 8255 was broken. The resistor Network was ok, after changing the 8255 the Cyberstick was back to life on the XVI.
It freezes one time, whatever since that it runs fine.

On my comparsion of the X68000 and the XVI i used a Quickshot Joystick with two Cords and a Switch to select between them.
Might be the Problem why both X68k broke on the same time with same Problem cause the stick was attached at the same time to both machines.

This Weekend i will try to fix the X68000, but i am on hope that there is the 8255 broken too.

Jehuty

In the meantime i changed the 8255 in the x68000 and it fix this problem. So through the joystick both 8255 were damaged.

curious, i can use the stick on Amiga and X68000 at the same time, but not on two X68000 Machines.