OG X68000! Power works, having trouble with FDD’s..

Started by Report2marty, April 08, 2019, 10:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Report2marty

Greetings Everyone!  I’m new to the x68000 scene and looking for some help..  So, the machine powers up with power led lit green and the Highreso idle red (31khz) monitor.  I replaced a leaky ni-cad batt and have ordered a new oscillator as well.  Before I recapped both FDD’s I would insert a disk and it would immediately spit it back out and show the “can’t boot from disk error” on the screen.  After recapping 0 drive engages in reading/spinning but I receive a red light and it ejects.  1 disk drive is dead other than the main wheel spinning.  It does not spin the disk at all, nor does the drive head lower in an attempt to read a track.  Also, the sensor is not triggering to auto eject.  I’ve cleaned the heads and rails as well.  I’m kinda stuck at the moment...  any and all help is greatly appreciated.

leonk

I think you have 2 options if you can’t get it to work. Purchase a good known drive or use the FDX68

Report2marty

Thank you!  Yeah, that’s what I figured...  Is there any info out there on the FDX68 that a beginner like me can follow along?

mattsoft

You could also try getting a SCSI2SD device working on your SASI bus and use the excellent compilation image available up here.

leonk

Quote from: mattsoft on April 09, 2019, 12:35:33 AM
You could also try getting a SCSI2SD device working on your SASI bus and use the excellent compilation image available up here.

Not going to work.  He needs the SASI driver to be loaded into SRAM before the SCSI2SD will start working on the OG X68000.

I documented the FDX68 on the Wiki.

mattsoft

Quote from: leonk on April 09, 2019, 01:26:31 AM
Quote from: mattsoft on April 09, 2019, 12:35:33 AM

Not going to work.  He needs the SASI driver to be loaded into SRAM before the SCSI2SD will start working on the OG X68000.

I documented the FDX68 on the Wiki.

Ahhh, that's right...he needs the FDD to load the SASI driver into SRAM. Doh!

Report2marty

Is it possible to use the HxC to load the sasi driver into the SRAM?  I’ve heard it’s not fully compatible, but is it compatible enough to run that?

TD-Linux

It's actually possible to load the SASI driver into SRAM using the serial debugger interface. No one has written a tool to do so, but if that's something you can do it's an option.

mattsoft

Report2marty -

where are you located? if you are lucky enough to be near an X68000 owner, maybe someone could hook up their working floppy drive to flash your SRAM.

Report2marty

Ah!  That’s brilliant!  I reached out to the individual I do know owns one about 3 weeks ago, but sadly I don’t think they’re interested in helping out.  I’ll find something to make this work though!  Thank you everyone for all your help!  It’s greatly appreciated!

mattsoft

If you're near Seattle, lemme know. I'm no expert but will help where I can.

Report2marty

Thank you, mattsoft!

So, I’m having some trouble understanding how to prep the 3 34 pin cable for connecting the HxC to the X68K.  Can anybody help?

Thank you!

leonk

I wasn’t aware HxC supported X68k.

where are you located?

mattsoft

Quote from: Report2marty on April 11, 2019, 10:09:25 AM
Thank you, mattsoft!

So, I’m having some trouble understanding how to prep the 3 34 pin cable for connecting the HxC to the X68K.  Can anybody help?

Thank you!

The HxC doesn't natively support the X68K so you'll be banging your head against the wall getting it working. There is someone (Caius) up here who is working on an adapter for the HxC, but it's not available yet. Your best bet is leonk's guide for the FDX68.

famiac

Did you check for damaged traces where the battery leaked? You should be very thorough with this.

There’s a member here who wrote the “x68k floppy drive reanimator tool” on here. Not sure if that program will help but it might