CZ-600 Floppy capacitor curiosities.

Started by DejahThoris, January 31, 2019, 10:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DejahThoris

Are the caps on the brown board (with the hefty metal circle on it) supposed to be polarized?  The ones I removed were (I don't believe they were original, but they were leaking so they needed replacing anyway).

But more importantly, the folded over 1uF 50V that sits in the center of the board has no markings as to which side is positive and which is negative, and I have no idea which way to place the new one.

skpstmgs

Maybe look at the orientation of the other capacitors on the board - if they are all facing with the negative side down or to the left, then the one you're wondering about is most likely the same - at least it was on my XVI when I recapped it. Also, a general good idea is to take a lot of photos beforehand so you have some reference to fall back on. Somebody with that particular model should chime in to make sure though.

DejahThoris

Ah, maybe I misspoke.  The cap that I removed, the folded over 1uF 50V does not have any markings on it.  So pics won't help in this case. 
The PCB doesn't have markings on it either (for any cap, which is why I thought maybe they're not meant to be polarized). 

skpstmgs

I had to look this up, but if there is a little + symbol on one side, that should be the positive side of the capacitor. In one pic I saw it looks like +85*C. I think all electrolytic capacitors are polarized so I would make sure you figure it out before putting them in. Also, maybe even following the trace to see if it leads to a ground should tell you the polarity.

kamiboy

There are indeed none polarized electrolytic caps on the floppy drive. You must replaced them with the same type. +85 is just the temprature rating. Polarized caps have the negative lead coloured or shaded differently. It should be pretty obvious, so if you don't see it the cap is nonpolar.

DejahThoris

Quote from: kamiboy on January 31, 2019, 05:23:10 PM
There are indeed none polarized electrolytic caps on the floppy drive. You must replaced them with the same type. +85 is just the temprature rating. Polarized caps have the negative lead coloured or shaded differently. It should be pretty obvious, so if you don't see it the cap is nonpolar.

That was my assumption.  Thanks for confirming.

If anyone has a CZ-600 and has the opportunity (or old pics from a teardown), I'd appreciate it if they could confirm the values for me.

leonk

I will be posting capacitor map of this FDD on wiki in a couple of days. I’m rebuilding mine right now.

sneak peak:

The spindle motor pcb has 8 capacitors. One of them is a 1uF 50V BP. Rest are polarized but no marking to suggest direction. So you need to know.

DejahThoris

Quote from: leonk on February 02, 2019, 03:21:15 PM
The spindle motor pcb has 8 capacitors. One of them is a 1uF 50V BP. Rest are polarized but no marking to suggest direction. So you need to know.

We actually spoke on twitter!

This is what I'd been saying originally, about there being no markings to suggest direction, and about the one cap I wasn't sure if it should be BP or if the should all be BP, etc.

leonk

I have updated the Wiki with instructions on replacing caps on this FDD.  See it here:

https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:cz600c_floppy_caps