New to the X68000 have some questions.

Started by soviet, January 12, 2024, 07:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soviet

Hi!, this is my first post and like to say hello to every one in the forum.
Also totally new here to x68000, need some help to start.

Recently purchased my first X68000 from japan is the ACE HD model, tested it for power etc and seems to work.

Read already the FAQ and wiki is a great source of information, but maybe there's some more options about this now.

The computer seems to power up fine and try to boot from floppy, purchased already a ps/2 keyboard and monitor adapter in ebay but still don't have them to continue testing.

Checked the internal battery and lucky it don't seem to has leaked have to replace it for a cr2032.

This computer have 1 megabyte of ram the internal ram slot is empty, have seen 4 meg expansions on ebay but they say that you need the internal ram slot first expanded to 2 megs.

Wondering there's any recommendation on where to purchase the 1 meg internal ram expansion ?, also what ones are compatible.

Also about the SASI drive the computer has an old hard drive installed but don't think is working can't hear it spinning.

What is the best option to replacement. There's seem to be a lot off options on the FAQ but maybe someone can point out something that can be purchased now ?.

NFG

Quote from: soviet on January 12, 2024, 07:11:37 AMThis computer have 1 megabyte of ram the internal ram slot is empty, have seen 4 meg expansions on ebay but they say that you need the internal ram slot first expanded to 2 megs.

This is only for the PRO model, which has a pro-specific ram module that must be installed before additional RAM can be installed in the I/O slots.

HIggy

@NFG sorry I think you are wrong.

The original X68000 CZ-600C, Ace and Pro only came with 1mb internal.

@soviet the Ace and Pro use the same 1mb upgrade so that gives you more chance of finding one (the CZ-600C has the same physical connector, but the Ace and Pro 1mb memory PCB hit the Expansion Card PCB on the motherboard).

You can find original Sharp 1mb upgrades  CZ-6EB1A or there were some other makes. Even the Japanese shop 'BEEP' has some newly manufactured expansions but they sell out quickly.

Some of the other new memory expansions such as GALS Panic say they can work if you just have 1mb internal. But I think those cards need to be programmed specifically. You would need to speak to the seller.

NFG

Quote from: HIggy on January 12, 2024, 06:13:40 PM@NFG sorry I think you are wrong.

Please don't be sorry!  I'm happy to be corrected.  Thanks for setting me straight.  =)

soviet

So the 1 or 2 megabyte internal expansion in case of using the GALS Panic configured for only 1 megabyte of internal memory will work equally for software and games ?.

Or the internal memory is like "chip ram" in the Amiga computer and the expasion card memory is like "fast ram" ?.

aotta

Quote from: soviet on January 13, 2024, 01:35:24 AMOr the internal memory is like "chip ram" in the Amiga computer and the expasion card memory is like "fast ram" ?.

No, all space is "flat", and the Galspanic for 1mb pc works (in very short words) using only half of the first Ram IC (1mb) of the board for revolving memory requests from 1 to 2 mb.
But you have to configure the GALSPanic board for it, soldering/desoldering jumper and programming with custom logic the GAL chips, since the original board and some you could find on ebay are ready for 2mb machines.

soviet

Cool, because the internal ram expansion seem hard to find.

3rdman01

I hope you don't mind but I thought I'd share my thoughts. Aside from the expansion, I'd suggest looking into replacing the power supply or plan on rebuilding it...these are known to be terrible. I'd also replace the HDD with a SCSI2SD as it draws less power and helps everything to run cooler.

Have you pulled the battery yet? I hope I'm wrong but from the pic you showed, I think it did leak...from the image there is a discoloration around the battery...I don't see corrosion but I do think its spilled its guts. I hope I'm wrong though.

soviet

Indeed the PSU lasted working like 2 powerups already started to fail.

Ordered a cap kit and a PSU replacement to atx picopsu from ebay, the battery looks bad like you mentioned already have build a cr2032 holder and diode.

But still waiting for a monitor and ps/2 keyboard adapter that got so i don't have to go in blind and be able to test.

soviet

Also got a zulu scsi and a modified acsi-scsi flat ribbon cable.
Hope the zulu will work.

Found this memory add on for the ace:
https://booth.pm/en/items/5174393

The store allow to buy via buyee and is a lot cheaper than the old original modules.

3rdman01

Are you waiting on an original monitor or otherwise? Do you own something like the OSSC or scaler? Literally nothing I own can match the timing off my X68K except for an old Multi-Sync monitor and a cheapo ASUS. The OSSC helps greatly with image quality on the ASUS. Good luck!

soviet

Only a DB15-Vga adatper for the x68k from what i read most software use 31khz vga ?.
Plan to use a crt vga monitor.

HIggy

Quite a lot of games use 15kHz. Some that start in 15kHz can be changed to 31kHz, but you won't be able to see/read the menu, so you will need to know what to do ->
Like Down, Down, Fire, Right :)
I don't have the link to hand, but there is a list somewhere that details this.

Going forward there are nice modern LCD monitors that can do 15 and 31kHz. Most are wide-screen but on my Dell P2214hb I can set 4:3 so image is correct ratio.

Currently I am using Commodore 1942 CRT monitor as it does 15 and 31kHz. But I have LCD waiting for when the Commodore dies.

z964

It's expensive, but I recommend a Retrotink 4k.  It handles the x68000's wonky video just fine, including 15khz and 24khz, and provides the best possible quality output image.

trixster

An Ossc works well too and is significantly cheaper than a retrotink 4K

soviet

Quote from: z964 on January 17, 2024, 12:01:04 PMIt's expensive, but I recommend a Retrotink 4k.  It handles the x68000's wonky video just fine, including 15khz and 24khz, and provides the best possible quality output image.

Never hear before about the retrotink 4k but they sell it for 750 usd for that kind of money i could get an original monitor.

soviet

About the ossc is less than a 100 from china wondering if it could work using a vga crt monitor.

3rdman01

Definitely worth it. I have to use my OSSC with all monitors whenever the X68k is used.

trixster

Quote from: soviet on January 18, 2024, 02:55:56 AMAbout the ossc is less than a 100 from china wondering if it could work using a vga crt monitor.

This is what I do, works fine.

z964

The OSSC does work, but the Retrotink 4k produces a much better image, in my experience.  At least, if you like CRT simulation filters.  It also dials in the phase automatically, which is manual and a bit of a pain on my OSSC.

All that extra money the Retrotink 4k costs doesn't go to waste.

soviet

Finally got all the bits needed to get the system working the first part was the PicoPSU atx to x68000 converter.

Have a problem here when I plug the ATX PSU onto the PicoPSU the PSU turns on even having the board not conected to the X68000 this is normal ?.

watto

Are you using an adapter board to connect the ATX PSU?

The X68000 power signal is inverted from ATX standard which is why the adapter boards have a logic chip to invert the signal.

kamiboy

I am really happy about owning an original X68000 monitor. They are excellent and give you the best compatibility, and full ensemble of original, mouse, keyboard, unit and monitor is just sexy as all heck.

I am personally not a fan of the PSU replacements that use an external laptop PSU, it irks me whenever I see a machine with internal PSU be converted to a cursed external setup, but that is just my hatred for external PSU's.

One thing I wish I had actually managed to do way back was grab the ultra rare 21" X68000 monitor while I had the chance. The smaller 15" is nice, but I can only imagine how glorious games would look on a 21", plus I could use that bad boy for all my other Japanese PCs, like the FM Towns, PC88 and hell, why not, even the PC98. Oh, well, perhaps one day...

soviet

Quote from: watto on January 31, 2024, 04:37:49 PMAre you using an adapter board to connect the ATX PSU?

The X68000 power signal is inverted from ATX standard which is why the adapter boards have a logic chip to invert the signal.

Yes i used one of this:

Is in the video on my previous post, when you plug a psu to it the fan start immediately .

soviet

Quote from: kamiboy on January 31, 2024, 10:19:55 PMI am really happy about owning an original X68000 monitor. They are excellent and give you the best compatibility, and full ensemble of original, mouse, keyboard, unit and monitor is just sexy as all heck.

I am personally not a fan of the PSU replacements that use an external laptop PSU, it irks me whenever I see a machine with internal PSU be converted to a cursed external setup, but that is just my hatred for external PSU's.

One thing I wish I had actually managed to do way back was grab the ultra rare 21" X68000 monitor while I had the chance. The smaller 15" is nice, but I can only imagine how glorious games would look on a 21", plus I could use that bad boy for all my other Japanese PCs, like the FM Towns, PC88 and hell, why not, even the PC98. Oh, well, perhaps one day...

I'm using an external brick for now until an internal 12v brick that i got from china arrives and yes much nicer to not need a big external brick.

The issue on the monitors is that not only they are very expensive to ship but also they have high probability to arrive destroyed in the mail.

watto

Quote from: soviet on February 01, 2024, 02:06:25 AMIs in the video on my previous post, when you plug a psu to it the fan start immediately .

I'll try help, but I'm not watching some random youtube video, no offence.  It takes me two seconds to read something vs. however long your video is trying to spy out details in it.

Suggest you take a look at: https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:soft_power_switch_troubleshooting_and_repair

Check the voltages and make sure the LS04 is actually working - it will power up without the chip connected, so it's as if it's doing nothing.  That chip looks weirdly old.  I'd also say it might be worth trying a 74HCT04 instead.  If you can verify the chip is OK you'd need to look at the soft power circuitry on the IO board as in the guide above.

soviet

That test was done having the picopsu and the pcb converter not connected to the actual computer.
Yes that 7404 on the video was very old the board original has an 74LS04 changed to that one to check in case it was bad.
What I like to know if the PSU is plugged it will start by itself when is not connected to the x68000.

watto

Quote from: soviet on February 01, 2024, 05:29:32 PMWhat I like to know if the PSU is plugged it will start by itself when is not connected to the x68000.

You need to actually connect it up to the X68000 to get the correct signals from the soft power circuit.

There's a diagram on this page that shows how it works: https://nfggames.com/nfg/x68repair/

The input will be getting pulled to 5v, presumably at a high enough level for TTL high, which through the inverted output will IIRC signal the ATX to power on.  So you'll need it hooked up to the X68000 for the input level to be low until you power it on.