New Super HD owner - question about 6 buttons

Started by trixster, January 21, 2019, 02:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trixster

Hi all,

I’ve been a lurker on this fine forum for a number of years but have only very recently signed up and managed to finally buy an X68000 Super HD (from a member of this very forum I think) with 4mb. Cosmetically it’s in great shape

I’ve managed to install a v5 scsi2hd successfully and added the V4 games sd image. So far I’m very happy! The machine has a pico psu conversion and it looks like the original battery has been removed and replaced by a coin cell. I can’t tell if it’s been recapped tho. I’m using a dell 2001fp lcd which is good for the 31khz modes but sadly 15khz won’t display. However, I have an OSSC which solves that issue :)

Anyway, I bought this adapter thinking it would enable me to use my 6 button Megadrive controller:
http://www.ebsoft.fr/shop/en/home/61-joymega-adaptator.html

Sadly it doesn’t appear to enable all six buttons and the dpad when I select the md option in sf2’ or in super sf2. The dpad stops operating and only the three small face buttons and the mode button do stuff.

So can anyone point me to a ready-made adapter that is guaranteed to work with my pad? I’m not handy with a soldering iron so researching and making one myself is not an option.

Thanks!

Max

Hi,

I have tried using some adapters myself unsuccessfully and at last I decided to try the original capcom adapter that works flawlessy with 6-button megadrive/genesis joypad as long as with compatible ones.....I'm not a tech guy so I might think that all the adapters around seem to have a bad config of the wires internally so that's why they become useless....so, pay attention to find one with the right schematics and all the right wires soldered....
cheers

trixster

Hi Max, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I saw the thread where you have had a similar issue. Sadly I don’t think paying for an official Capcom one is going to be an option for me given the price of them! That’s why I’m hoping there are third party ones available somewhere, but most on here seem to be home-made affairs.

Anyone able to hook me up with one? I’d absolutely cover all costs/time!

LowDefAl

Quote from: trixster on January 21, 2019, 02:13:33 AMmanaged to finally buy an X68000 Super HD (from a member of this very forum I think)
well deduced  8)

I suspect the issue is that the adapter you link to is advertised as MSX. Now while the X68k port is indeed supposed to be MSX standard, it's only two buttons. And only a handful of x68k games allow you to even use a start button if present to actually pause (Castlevania being one) because virtually every game uses the Esc key for this.

Whereas the adapter that comes with Chelnov appears to map the entire pad correctly as I was able to use it to play that copy of SF2' as well as use the C button in Chelnov itself. So I would suggest looking for a reasonably priced copy of Chelnov with an adapter or a clone of it. Theoretically I could make you one but I could also theoretically sell you my Copy... Let me have a think.

trixster

That would be tremendous :) let me know if you can help, it would be much appreciated.

Max

neko68k

The difference between MSX adapters and the Chelnov adapter is whether the SEL pin is hooked up or not. Without the SEL pin you only get DPAD+A/Start. The MD adapters are dead simple. Move pin 9 to 7 and 7/8 to 8/9. That's it.

I have a thing I designed/made but I'm not sure if I'll sell them. Cost is kind of high and I'd like to make a little money -_- Supports FC/SFC(incl mouse)/PS1(incl negcon/mouse)/PS2/MD/Saturn

trixster