July 22, 2019, 05:39:05 am

News:

Upload your images to this forum!.  The internet can't be trusted.  NFG can.  (probably)

Easy PicoPSU

Started by mattsoft, October 01, 2018, 03:59:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

leonk

Have you tried restoring one of these PSUs and had any level of success with it? I have. replaced almost every component (at high cost from digi-key I might add). still failed. Ended being the wire inside the transformer were melted/fused. Put the picoPSU into the XVI.

Modern switching power supplies can be had of higher quality than your Amazon China special with a lot more safety features and better filtering.

In my OG X68k I have a modern 1U server grade PSU. I replaced the caps with Nichicon just as a precaution even though it was a very expensive PSU already (relative to common desktop ATX power supplies). I know this would last longer than anything I could have done with the stock.

Jehuty

When my x68000 PSU gone dead i replaced all leaked caps withnew ones and had no luck. Still a failure in another part.
Finaly i replaced it with a new one and been happy.

aje_fr

I got 100% success on all PSU I repaired... And trust me, I have done somes...

TD-Linux

Quote from: leonk on April 07, 2019, 02:39:37 am
Have you tried restoring one of these PSUs and had any level of success with it? I have. replaced almost every component (at high cost from digi-key I might add). still failed. Ended being the wire inside the transformer were melted/fused. Put the picoPSU into the XVI.

Mine also has a clearly broken transformer. The way the PSU is designed, when the primary side transistor fails short, it will also cook the transformer winding and possibly some resistors in the same route.

leonk

Here’s an example of one that leaked so bad, parts were falling off the PCB. Everything was cooked including the transformer and the fuse exploded and caught on fire at some point.

Note all the wonderful capacitor gunk.

neko68k

geez mine didn't look that bad lol... My Pro had an SH5 in it that already had higher rated caps than I've seen listed anywhere, even in guides advising higher ratings and it was still dead. I recapped it myself and it stayed dead so I threw it in the trash. Aint nobody got time for that.

cauterize

Matt very kindly sorted me out with an Easy PicoPSU recently (and with a lot of technical assistance too) - despite my limited knowledge working on such fiddly electronics, it really was a straightforward to install in an Ace HD. I feel much safer knowing I've removed the board and those troublesome capacitors, so here's to plenty more gaming on the X68000!