best monitors...your opinion

Started by Max, September 16, 2018, 05:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

Hi mates,

I do actually want to buy a monitor for my Sharp x68k Pro II definitely as I'm fed up with my lcd supporting only 31mhz, I'd like to receive a short list of monitors ready for 15mhz too in order to  play all the games that require this resolution without having to switch combinations and so on.....hope yo'll help me find one average good enough and above all not so hard to be found.....I normally look for stuff on ebay/amazon so my research would be in that direction......
thanks in advance

srtomiz

You got a list here to begin:

http://15khz.wikidot.com/

They only list the ones which support 15khz (It's made by amiga users), but therer are not a lot games which support 24khz

Other solution would be an OSSC or xpc4, but these are expensive.

SuperDeadite

Personally I use a 29'' arcade monitor mounted in a wood box for mine.  Looks absolutely stunning.  If you are after a cheap LCD solution though, the NEC Accusync 71V does 15/24/31 and works quite well with the X68K.  Of course it has the classic LCD issues of cutting off some pixels, but for the cheap price it's an excellent starter choice. 

leonk

doesn’t the OSSC solve the 15k issue with 2X mode?

I know many people are hppy with OSSC and PC monitor.

Jehuty

What issue with 15Khz ? I use a OSSC and it works. Sometime on some modes i have to switch to 1x / passthrough.
Could you give a example wich will not work, i can test.
I own a Commodore M1438S too and it works fine aswell.
2x on 31Khz looks Great on my LCD with the OSSC. And it can add scanlines for retrofeeling.

Max

oh guys all good ideas, I'll look into them soon.....I thank you so much  for your precious suggestions....as I'm here already I just ask you to look at my previous topic about fdx68 since I'd actually want to use it soon and share all my experiments about it with the whole community.....I'd need a guide and the one who'll make the cable I requested will be paid obviously for that.....
thanksssssss

Cheers

LowDefAl

Quote from: srtomiz on September 16, 2018, 07:46:32 AM
You got a list here to begin:

http://15khz.wikidot.com/

They only list the ones which support 15khz (It's made by amiga users), but therer are not a lot games which support 24khz

Other solution would be an OSSC or xpc4, but these are expensive.
There are a lot of issues with the wikilist and the main one is that LCD's are not reliable for X68k because they either have too many caveats or there is the chance of unadvertised revisions that may drop the feature (as has happened with several models from that list). Or you might presume that a similar model will support it but doesn't.

XPC4 sure is expensive, but the OSSC's value depends on how you approach it. Just for playing X68k, perhaps. But you can use it as a universal device and feed a recording device with it for half the price of the XPC.

Quote from: SuperDeadite on September 16, 2018, 10:27:59 AMIf you are after a cheap LCD solution though, the NEC Accusync 71V does 15/24/31 and works quite well with the X68K. 
Availability with the 71V does seem to be an issue in some regions. I couldn't get hold of one.

Personally I recently got hold of a NOS Acorn AFK52 which is supports 15 upto about 40k iirc. It's actually made by Microvitec who also made the M1438 for Commodore. Many CRT's made for use with 16bit microcomputers should be compatible if this is something you can get in your region but make sure to check the specs, for example the AFK50 and 60 do not support 15/24.

frankmonk

yes, I used the Microvitec M1438 for a while. Its a good match for the X68000 machines. There are hard to find but if you are living in europe the chances are good getting one.
I`m currently using following monitors for the Sharp.
Original Sharp Monitor (CZ-613D). Of course the best solution for desk gaming. Actually the Microvitec is as good as the original sharp imo. no big difference.
Nec XM29 and Barco OCM-3346 trisync beasts. Perfect for lazy playing from distance.
But like Superdeadite said, every trisync arcade monitor will do an impressive job

LowDefAl

Actually, this raises a question about arcade monitors. “Stock” japan market trisync monitors will be fine, but has anyone tried it with aftermarket chassis like Wei-ya? I had a monitor upgraded to trinsync with a wei-ya chassis and Chihiro wouldn’t sync with it, it wasn’t well documented but it was a known incompatibility.

spud

I plan on using my imminent X68000 with my BenQ BL912. I'll report here on results.

Max

great Spud...we'll be waiting for...

vanpeebles

I know someone who uses a BenQ BL702A at 15khz with the x68000. A little bit chopped at the bottom, but it does do 15khz.

I bought a Dell after seeing it mentioned on the amiga list, only to find that it didn't do 15khz  :(

frankmonk

I can cofirm that it is also chooped on the BenQ BL912

spud

I don't even get an image on my BenQ BL912 :( (It's not the X68000, it works on other screens). Any help on how to troubleshoot for this X68000 n00b? Could it be set to 24 kHz maybe?

I came across this as well. When running it through google translate I guess it looks like my issue. Maybe somebody who speaks Japanese can interpet this better and suggest what would be the solution: http://fanblogs.jp/retrogamerz/archive/406/0

Guess I may need a different cable?

spud

OK, so I have the BenQ BL912 (more or less) working. With the (passive) VGA switch (so i can also attach my Amigas) it doesn't work, so I have to come up with a new solution for that.

So after some random combination of turning off, on, resetting the X68000 and also turning off/on the Monitor, e.g. only after the X68000 has fully booted. i got an image.

Then I could change the monitor settings. I haven't fully optimised it yet, but with following settings it even auto centers (horizontally) now (still some part of the bottom is cut off)! Current settings:

H-position: 50
V-position: 50
Pixel Clock: 50
Phase: 42