Author Topic: FDD emulator FDX68 - Floppy Disk Drive Integration Tools per X68000  (Read 347 times)

Offline Max

• BigMember
what do you think about it?....Just to collect ideas and see if it is actually great and useful at 100%

Offline ShootTheCore

• SmallMember
I took a look at the documentation through Google Translate - it looks to be really useful and really powerful.  I'm going to order one in and see if I can start some English documentation on it.  Maybe even write an LCD Loader for the Raspberry Pi part so it can run self-contained if I can find the time.  I'm excited to try it - never been a fan of floppies.

Offline Max

• BigMember
hey man could you pls give me some more details about it?...Can it be plugged directly to a x68k in order to replace an ordinary fdd or it is just more complicated?....So to know if it could be a good order by my side too...
thanks

Offline ShootTheCore

• SmallMember
The instructions say that the FDX68 can simulate either one or two floppy drives, and it can be connected either internally or externally.  So it can take the place of one or both of your internal floppies if you want it to.

I just barely ordered the FDX68 through Buyee and ordered the components to make an external floppy cable to my X68030 from DigiKey. Now to just wait for everything to come in.

Offline Max

• BigMember
externally would be ok to me, I have already plugged a scsi2sd to my Sharp Pro II and it works great but does this widget use the same way? Where am I supposed to plug it into?....It's shipped stand alone without any sort of cables/wires etc....
If you could give me any suggestions and If I need some cable/plug to make ti work.....in the end I found this link to buy it, is that right too?
https://gimons.booth.pm/cart?added_to_cart=true&via=shop
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:26:43 AM by Max »

Offline ShootTheCore

• SmallMember
This is the ordering link, although if you live outside of Japan, you'll need to order using an intermediary service (I used Buyee).

https://booth.pm/en/items/887491

As for the external connection, your X68000 should have an external floppy drive connector available that you would plug it into.  You may need a custom cable though.  What model is your X68000?

Offline Max

• BigMember
ah ok....my model is X68000 PRO II CZ-653C now with 4mb. It could be really interesting but for whom it may concern the custom cable I do not know where to find/create/purchase it....
thanks for your suggestions.....I'm here all ears!!!!

Offline ShootTheCore

• SmallMember
The PRO II uses a DSUB 37 pin connector for the external floppy, while the FDX68 uses the internal floppy 34 pin connection. You may be able to find a DSUB 37 Pin to Internal Floppy 34 Pin cable on Buyee, or maybe someone here on the forums would be able to make you one.

Offline Max

• BigMember
great....I'll look for it!!!!
tks

Offline Max

• BigMember
got the widget from buyee.....I was too keen and curious.....I could not resist...now I really need the cable you mention DSUB 37 Pin to Internal Floppy 34 Pin cable if someone checking this page could give me a heads up and i might buy this hand-made/custom cable from a x68k addicted here.... :) :)

Offline leonk

• BigMember
Re: FDD emulator FDX68 - Floppy Disk Drive Integration Tools per X68000
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »
How does this work with compact?

Does it emulate a 5.25 FD? The 3.5” drives break very easily and are close to impossible to fix.

Offline Max

• BigMember
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 10:31:21 PM »
externally would be ok to me, I have already plugged a scsi2sd to my Sharp Pro II and it works great but does this widget use the same way? Where am I supposed to plug it into?....It's shipped stand alone without any sort of cables/wires etc....
If you could give me any suggestions and If I need some cable/plug to make ti work.....in the end I found this link to buy it, is that right too?
https://gimons.booth.pm/cart?added_to_cart=true&via=shop

I have just had a look at the digikey website, is it Italian? and you mate?...'cause i'm currently living in Milan and we could keep in touch and exchange ideas on that even directly.....
then, I'll need the custom cable you mentioned and hope you can help me out with that.....
tks.....

P.S: then I'l be asking some other questions but not here so not to bother others on tiny stupid things....
let me know mate...send me a pm just in case... :)

ciao
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:33:24 PM by Max »

Offline ShootTheCore

• SmallMember
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »
All the parts arrived for my FDX68 setup - the controller itself, a Raspberry Pi to drive it, and the parts to build an external FDD cable for my X68030. Now I just need next week to get here so I have time to actually build it and use it!

Offline Max

• BigMember
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 01:46:46 AM »
great man.....waiting for your endeavours!!!