Genesis/Megadrive 2 and 6 button adapter for x68000

Started by dasfool, June 03, 2018, 12:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasfool

I recently acquired a x68000 compact and have really appreciated the wealth of knowledge this community provides. Since I wanted to play Street Fighter 2 and had a 6 button Sega Genesis controller lying around, I decided to wire up an adapter. What I noticed was that there are basically two different adapters depending on if you want to use the controller for normal 2 button games vs 6 button games. I didn't want to have to keep switching adapters so I designed a simple adapter with a switch that just toggles the pinout between 2 and 6 buttons. It works great so far. The only undocumented thing I've noticed is that kick 0, 1, and 2 (6 button mode) are ordered incorrectly in Street Fighter 2 in Megadrive mode. The correct mapping in Street Fighter is:

• KICK0: C
  • KICK1: A
  • KICK2: B
Edit: I would have wrapped these photos in a spoiler but I didn't see any options for spoiler tags... 

Photos:

NFG

There is no reason at all your photos need to be so large.  I've updated the forum's CSS so they don't go beyond 640px in width.  They're still enormous, but now we can see them without looking at the screen from the hallway.  ;)

Thanks for the contribution.  =)

Max

I'd be interested in buying one of these adapters...I have been struggling to have one for my Genesis 6-button joypad in order to play street fighter with all its moves on my Pro II....so hope you can help me out...
cheers

Max

SuperDeadite

I believe Repro-Factory already sells both Megadrive and SNES adapters on their site for those who don't want to build their own.  The 2/6 button switch isn't really needed.  Both Street Fighters work fine with 6 button MD pads using the Chelnov adapter, which is as simple as it gets.

Max

could you  please give me the exact link ?  The problem though is if actually the 6 buttons are seen and work as they should....if so I'm going to buy that for sure so to use my MD Joypads at home

SuperDeadite

http://www.ebsoft.fr/shop/en/home/61-joymega-adaptator.html
http://www.ebsoft.fr/shop/en/home/60-joysnes-adaptator.html

Games that don't support 6-buttons don't even look for them.
Street Fighter 2'' and Super SF2 work by simply selecting "CPSF-MD"
on the options screen.  They allow you to remap the buttons in anyway you want.

I have both the Capcom adapter and the Chelnov adapter.  I rarely use the Capcom one as it's
big and bulky.  The Chelnov adapter is just a simple pinout changer just like the joymega and far
more convient.  The only real reason to get the big Capcom adapter is if you actually want to use the original
CPSF stick.

Max

Max

Quote from: Max on June 12, 2018, 04:12:22 AM
thanks a lot for your precious tips... :)

I bought the megadrive adapter you suggested me but it does not work properly even if I choose the MD setting in the joypad configuration panel in SF games.....I should say that I' m not using an original megadrive 6-button joypad but one similar I had that works perfectly on megadrive/genesis console...maybe the adapter only detects original ones...still 6-buttons obviously!!!!???
hope you can help me out since I'd actually like to play Street fighter with def 6 button joypad.... :) :) I'm giving myself the last chance before buying the so expensive Capcom stick and its adapter....but I would get out of this hard cost.....
tks

neko68k

To clarify a bit. The Capcom adapter works with any and all SFC and MD controllers. Not just the Capcom sticks. I'm working on a better replacement for the Capcom adapter but it isn't ready for release yet. There is also the device that Spitko is working on in the other thread.

Max

many thanks for your reply....I'll have a look at! :)