News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

SC55 vs SC88-st pro

Started by hyrulebr, May 02, 2018, 08:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hyrulebr

Hi

I already have a SC-55 (first version) and just bought a SC88-ST PRO. I want to sell Sc-55 because I don't have enough space in my desk for both and the money will help me to buy new things.  :D

Do you think the SC88 will replace the Sc55 even in games that have been programmed for the first Sc55?

I found a old thread and BlueBMV comments about some compatibility issues:

https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5396.msg36553#msg36553

SuperDeadite

You should keep both.
Most games were meant for the original SC-55.  The 55 map on 88s and later is based on the 55 Mk II.
Most games you won't notice a difference though.
On the other hand Mahou Daisakusen only supports the 55 MkII or 88, as it uses the extra polyphony that the original 55 doesn't have (meaning some notes are cut-off early).  Deadly Edge only supports the 88.

One thing to note though, you have the ST, which does have a 55 MK II sound map, but it lacks the compatibility mode that the normal 88 and 88 pro have.

Basically if you push the 55 button on the ST, the notes will match up, but you will be hearing the 88's native samples.  On the 88 and 88 Pro, you can enter compatibility mode which will then use the actual 55 Mk II's native samples.

Confused yet? lol

leonk

I don't believe most games detect the midi card and start using it. Does one have to install a driver to use midi or does is it game dependent? ie each game has a different method of enabling midi support?

SuperDeadite

Quote from: leonk on May 02, 2018, 01:57:16 PM
I don't believe most games detect the midi card and start using it. Does one have to install a driver to use midi or does is it game dependent? ie each game has a different method of enabling midi support?

Most games that support MIDI will check for it on boot then load their own driver to use it.  Depends on the game though. Super Hangon will automatically output both FM and MIDI if a MIDI board is found.  Wolfteam games make you hold down the touroku key during boot.  System Sacom you hold down the corresponding Function key during boot.  Konami games just give you a menu.  There is no standard.

vanpeebles

Might be a nice forum project to compile a proper full list of all MIDI games, what cards, and what keys etc. I've quite enjoyed tinkering with mine. I'm using the SC-88 Pro.

Is there a MIDI file player for the x68000?

hyrulebr

Quote from: SuperDeadite on May 02, 2018, 10:48:16 AM
You should keep both.

One thing to note though, you have the ST, which does have a 55 MK II sound map, but it lacks the compatibility mode that the normal 88 and 88 pro have.

Confused yet? lol

Thanks Superdeadite! I´m trying to cancel purchase. Seller didn´t ship it yet. If I have to keep both better to buy a SC88/SC 88 pro.

Quote from: vanpeebles on May 02, 2018, 10:00:48 PM
Might be a nice forum project to compile a proper full list of all MIDI games, what cards, and what keys etc. I've quite enjoyed tinkering with mine. I'm using the SC-88 Pro.

Is there a MIDI file player for the x68000?

I use this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-compatible_computer_games#Sharp_X68000

Maybe incomplete but with a lot of info to dig up.

vanpeebles

Yeah I used that list a lot :)

hyrulebr

Hi

After 4 months I finally got a Sc-88 pro.   :)

I tried a couple of games and keeping both SC-55 and SC-88 on (fast exchanging using a midi patcher and a mixer), I really cannot tell the difference, as superdeadlite said.

Thanks for all the Help!  ;)

vanpeebles