Sacom Mini Midi Cable help

Started by vanpeebles, March 06, 2018, 10:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanpeebles

I've been looking around at various cabling guides, but I'm a bit confused by the pin outs. Some are from the solder side, others female socket side etc making them inverted or some even upside down.

I've got a normal midi cable, with one end cut off, and a mini din connector on the way. Does anyone just have a simple photo with the two male cable plug ends and the required connections? :)

samaron

You just match pin 1 to pin 1 etc. Direct connections, no crossed pins.

vanpeebles

Sadly the cable I have isn't numbered inside the socket :( I'll draw up a piccy on what I'm guessing is right.

vanpeebles

Cable end to cable, this is my figuring out?

samaron

The regular DIN is correct, the mini is not. There is an image showing the pinout for a female connector on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector It is the same for 5 and 6-pin, and as the text says, the male connector is a morror image of the female plug shown on the page.

vanpeebles

How about this one?  :)

That page says "The pin numbering for the plugs shown above is done left to right, bottom row to top row. Pin 1 will be on the lower left, and the highest pin number will be on the upper right."

samaron

Whoops, I were thinking the other way around.... silly me. You are right. I did double check it against the adapter I wired up a few months ago, and it is correct. My apologies!

vanpeebles

;D So I'm good to go on that one?

samaron

Pinwizkid

vanpeebles

I saw those but the shipping is terrible. I rarely buy stuff from the US now, because the shipping is always crazy expensive.

Annoyingly I had an old Soundblaster card with a break out box years ago, and I know it came with two of those cables. No idea where they went. I'll probably find them after making my own. It's a good option though!

vanpeebles