Which is correct pinout adapter? - MD 6 button controller

Started by samaron, February 12, 2018, 05:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samaron

Greetings!

I am scratching my head now. Got a 6-button Mega Drive controller that I'd like to use with Street Fighter II. Since this is supposed to just be a simple pinout adapter, it shouldn't really be a problem to make one. However, putting together the one in the wiki which is supposed to work, simply doesn't. And why isn't the other schematic removed if it is wrong? A button doesn't work, XYZ buttons doesn't respond, down-button seem to act as the A-button etc. So I have checked my wiring twice, and it is correct (according to the scematic, at least). Started doing some searches and found yet another pinout suggested in a post. So basically there are at least 3 pinouts on how to make these adapters.... Which one is correct? Anyone own the original Capcom adapter and can check how it is wired?

samaron

Spent the evening now experimenting and rewiring it. I ignored what was written in the wiki and forum posts, looked up the pinouts and put it together the most logical way according to the pinouts. Now it works!

Looking at how I wired it together, it seems the original schematic in the wiki is the correct one. Perhaps best to remove the "corrected" schematic below that say the actual working one is wrong?

neko68k

Since we're both on the subject... I'm told the capcom adapter has some kind of ASIC or something in it; a little black square the size of your thumbnail :D

samaron

Interesting! I am sure I read somewhere it was just a simple pinout adapter in an oversized plastic case.

Regardless, I'm happy my adapter works now. :P

neko68k

Yay, working stuff. I think I read that too. The two multiplexer output from the Capcom adapter is correct but the MD 6 button has some over engineered protocol that needs more hi/lo cycles than the multiplexer. Silly Sega.  ~shrug~