N64/SNES to "Custom"?

Started by Pipian, October 06, 2003, 11:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipian

Well, as is evident from the site, the N64 output gives both composite video and composite sync as two different outputs.  Is there an easy way to resolve this with the DB9 "custom" setup which provides for only one video/sync pin?

I'm lucky enough to have found a jack which has all of the pins for use (The Pelican S-Video/AV cable for Gamecube/N64 luckily is over-designed and has all of the necessary pins, even though only the 6 necessary ones are used.) and I'm interested in converting it to the default "custom" setup, as I hope to do so for the rest of my video/audio connectors (I happen to have a LOT of video game systems, so it would help).

Also, how would the sound best be parsed?

NFG

I don't think the N64 has composite sync on the connector, since it doesn't have RGB output.  If you mod the unit to add this capability, you should use whichever signal you need - there's no reason to use both, 'cause you can only use one at a time, and which you use depends on what you're going to do with it.

As for 'parsing the audio' I have no idea what this means.  Normally to use the signals present you just connect the wires - Left to Left, Right to Right.  Nothing more complicated is involved.

Pipian

erm erm... Nevermind, I misinterpreted.  Composite sync in general doesn't seem to have its own pin though (sharing with the RCA video)...  I guess for that you just use the LM1881 to weed out the video signal from the sync signal on the Composite converter side of the custom cable.

However, the N64 apparently does some sort of subtraction to get the right channel in the cable (as it mentions something about R+L (for mono) and R-L (for stereo calculations)).  I mean I suppose you could hook it up right, but it would appear that you would get mono out of the right, and the left channel out of the left.

NFG

I believe all audio calculations are handled internally, just use them normally.

Pipian

Thanks.  Uh...  I guess now all I have to do is rig up this connector.  Which is better for the custom cable itself?  male-male or female-female? (i.e. Should the converter should be rigged up with a male DB9 or a female?)

NFG

Doesn't make a difference either way.  I use male for the output end and female for the input.