Extron DVS 304 & X68000

Started by emerald danjon, January 23, 2018, 12:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emerald danjon

Hello everyone!,
i want ask you about this scaler Extron DVS 304 and if anyone use with X68000 on CRT...,
i want to know if works on 15/24/31 khz on the VGA PC CRT Monitors...,

or if maybe can have some kind of problems...or incompatibility...,
thank you in advance.

papa_november

I tried signing up for an Extron Insider account months ago and I have yet to hear back from them. I've got a pile of DVS 304s that need firmware updates. Could you help me out?

vanpeebles

Are these a suitable replacement for a XPC thingy? The extron is a lot easier to get hold of in the UK, quite a few on ebay!

hoshikawa

no, they are junk. I used one in a pinch but they are not suited to the task.

leonk

vanpeebles

wbo

I have the VGA version of the DVS 304 and it will accept 15 and 31 khz signals from the x68000 as well as PC-88 and PC-98 systems.  Mine doesn't like 24 khz video modes from the x68000 but will work with 24 khz modes from other systems.  The problem I have with mine is for some reason the scaling of 15 khz signals from the x68000 and PC-88 is absolutely terrible and no amount of changing settings on the DVS 304 helps. 

The strange thing is, the DVS 304 works very well with 15 khz signals from other systems.  15 khz output from the Amiga and Sega Genesis looks very good with very low latency and it also handles the composite output from Apple II much better than most modern displays I have used.  I love using my DVS 304 on these systems because the quality of the scaling is very good and since the output is scaled to whatever resolution I choose - monitor compatibility isn't really a problem.

The DVS 304 also doesn't work very well with the 31 khz signals from the x68000.  Depending on how you have the DVS 304 configured it will cut of a substantial portion of either the top or the bottom of the image - making it impossible to see the entire screen and tools like lcdfix don't help very much either.  31 khz signals from other systems work just fine - it just doesn't like the signal from the x68000.

I also have the DVI version of the DVS 304 and it doesn't work nearly as well as the older VGA version - so unless you need a digital output get the VGA version.  The DVI version is much pickier about it's inputs and will not reliably sync to video signals from the Amiga or even the Commodore 64 whereas the older VGA version handles them just fine.  Both versions appear to handle the x68000 equally poorly.  I have tried several different firmware versions on both models of DVS 304 with no changes so I just run the latest version available on mine. 

If you need DVI output, you can connect the VGA output of the older DVS 304 to the input of the DVI version of the 304 but that does increase the lag a bit.

vanpeebles

Ah interesting stuff, thanks! Sounds like I'll give it a miss :)

leonk

Quote from: hoshikawa on March 22, 2018, 05:30:18 PM
Quote from: leonk on March 21, 2018, 04:40:31 PM
care to explain why not?
nope

give this man a beer!  Best post of the year!!!   ::) ::) ::)

Why even bother joining this forum if you don't care to contribute??

kendrick

Hey all, I'm locking the topic. Nobody's done anything wrong, but I think this specific conversation has ended and any further exchange is likely not to be on topic. Please PM me if you have any questions.